ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old July 14th, 2014   #21
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Trying Michelin PR4s

Rode Hal's bike, recently fitted with PR4s. Very stable in a straight line but upon tip-in, they will tend to kind of fall into the corner and make you oversteer unless you apply throttle all the way through, on perhaps earlier than you're used to. Once I figured that out, they're wonderful handling tires. This is really the classical, correct way to negotiate a bend and the PR4s definitely coach you to do it correctly.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net

Last edited by Wjbertrand; July 14th, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014   #22
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Trying Michelin PR4s

I didn't notice that as I always am on the throttle through a turn.

Thanks for pointing it out as I'm sure there will be a time when I do let off a bit while cornering.

So far, I've only put about 600 miles on mine.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014   #23
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Yeah the PR3s seem to follow the same line off or on the throttle.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014   #24
GRN

I regularly find an empty lot to throw out some cones and practice some drills from a cornering clinic I used to teach - and recently got to do this for the first time with the PR4's. I still find some floaty, vague feedback at mid lean while running an extended lines (5 laps, one way at a time - alternating, around 40' & 70' circles). At slightly higher speeds, deeper lean, it mostly goes away but still feels less settled and stable than the PR3's to me.

I did my typical drill of three rounds (round = 5 sets, 5 laps each way, both circles, 100 laps total), starting out at moderate speed, lean angle, and mild body positioning which progressively become more aggressive through the three rounds.

1st round is just a warm up for me and the tires, neutral body position with mild upper body shift to the inside, butt on center, and enough speed to score the rear tire about 1" from the edge. Steering feel here is at times a bit vague, and the result of inputs was fairly linear, yet most noticeably inconsistent when keeping inputs very consistent.

2nd round is a very aggressive upper body position, heavy outside peg pressure, butt still on center, and enough speed to score the rear tire to .5" from the edge. My observations were similar to round 1.

3er round is very aggressive upper and lower body (full cheek off) positioning, top arm fully extended to just reach the grip with a loose open handed 'hold', and enough speed to generally score the rear tire to within less than 1/8" from the edge. Feeling was less vague, more linear, but unlike the PR3's where I would occasionally feel a hint of rear tire drift that I could usually associate to small changes in inputs, the PR4's drifted front and back - sometime one or the other, sometimes both without any associated change to inputs, and measurably shy of the limitations of the bikes lean angle.

The traction results led me to take a look at the front, where I found a surprise. Historically, across several different bikes and tire models, it's been my experience that the width of the unused portion of the front tire significantly exceeds that of the rear. On this bike (GSX1250FA) for example, the outside 3/16" of PR3's, 021's and 023's fronts would go to the grave without having ever touched asphalt, while the rears would be worn to/off the edge. The rear PR4's are currently worn to 3/32" from the edge, while the fronts are at 1/8".

IMO, the new profiles and compounds used in the 4's will, for most, yield a better touring tire, but they clearly sacrificed sport performance to get there. To my surprise, at this point, I'm more confident with the results I'm getting from the Road Attacks on the RT.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014   #25
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Didn't you sell your ST1300?

I thought I remembered you saying that.

If so, what are you using the PR4's on?

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
I regularly find an empty lot to throw out some cones and practice some drills from a cornering clinic I used to teach - and recently got to do this for the first time with the PR4's. I still find some floaty, vague feedback at mid lean while running an extended lines (5 laps, one way at a time - alternating, around 40' & 70' circles). At slightly higher speeds, deeper lean, it mostly goes away but still feels less settled and stable than the PR3's to me.

I did my typical drill of three rounds (round = 5 sets, 5 laps each way, both circles, 100 laps total), starting out at moderate speed, lean angle, and mild body positioning which progressively become more aggressive through the three rounds.

1st round is just a warm up for me and the tires, neutral body position with mild upper body shift to the inside, butt on center, and enough speed to score the rear tire about 1" from the edge. Steering feel here is at times a bit vague, and the result of inputs was fairly linear, yet most noticeably inconsistent when keeping inputs very consistent.

2nd round is a very aggressive upper body position, heavy outside peg pressure, butt still on center, and enough speed to score the rear tire to .5" from the edge. My observations were similar to round 1.

3er round is very aggressive upper and lower body (full cheek off) positioning, top arm fully extended to just reach the grip with a loose open handed 'hold', and enough speed to generally score the rear tire to within less than 1/8" from the edge. Feeling was less vague, more linear, but unlike the PR3's where I would occasionally feel a hint of rear tire drift that I could usually associate to small changes in inputs, the PR4's drifted front and back - sometime one or the other, sometimes both without any associated change to inputs, and measurably shy of the limitations of the bikes lean angle.

The traction results led me to take a look at the front, where I found a surprise. Historically, across several different bikes and tire models, it's been my experience that the width of the unused portion of the front tire significantly exceeds that of the rear. On this bike (GSX1250FA) for example, the outside 3/16" of PR3's, 021's and 023's fronts would go to the grave without having ever touched asphalt, while the rears would be worn to/off the edge. The rear PR4's are currently worn to 3/32" from the edge, while the fronts are at 1/8".

IMO, the new profiles and compounds used in the 4's will, for most, yield a better touring tire, but they clearly sacrificed sport performance to get there. To my surprise, at this point, I'm more confident with the results I'm getting from the Road Attacks on the RT.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old July 17th, 2014   #26
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 151 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Maybe this? (GSX1250FA)

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014   #27
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 90 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Isn't that the kinda the updated/upgraded replacement for the Bandit?
Sorta a VFR from Suzuki.
Nice bike.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014   #28
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Oh yeah, he mentioned that earlier in this same thread.

Duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Maybe this? (GSX1250FA)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old July 17th, 2014   #29
GRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post

Oh yeah, he mentioned that earlier in this same thread.

Duh!

And in the post you quoted.

Paul, yes, full faired Bandit 1250 with ABS and 3 pc touring kit. It's a great block and tackle, bulletproof ST bike. It makes peak torque at 3750 RPM, tips in under 600 lb with the touring kit on. It's a widely misunderstood bike due to the GSX-R styling cues, you have to ride it to really get it.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014   #30
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
Paul, yes, full faired Bandit 1250 with ABS and 3 pc touring kit. It's a great block and tackle, bulletproof ST bike. It makes peak torque at 3750 RPM, tips in under 600 lb with the touring kit on. It's a widely misunderstood bike due to the GSX-R styling cues, you have to ride it to really get it.

And when you ride it, you really do get it after twisting the throttle a few times.

I had my Bandit at the time I bought my current ST. I remember on the ride home with the ST thinking that I was going to have to get use to the reduced torque. God I miss that 1250 Bandit engine! Really wish I could have kept it .

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote