ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old July 8th, 2014   #1
DanK

Default Trying Michelin PR4s

Replaced my BT023's with PR4s. Now have 2,200 miles on them. Seem like excellent tires. I liked the 023s, had two sets, and was going to replace in kind, but my dealer coundln't get them from their distributors. The PR4's have a nice, solidly planted feel, corner well very, and seem to be superior at shedding water and giving solid grip in rain, and I rode through some heavy rain. (Fortunately I can't give a snow report, at least yet.) I'll have to wait to see what kind of mileage they give, but so far I'd rate them as an excellent tire.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014   #2
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Trying Michelin PR4s

The BT023s are discontinued and were replaced with the T30. If you don't like the slow steering but long wearing Michelins you can try the T30s next time.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014   #3
DanK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
The BT023s are discontinued and were replaced with the T30. If you don't like the slow steering but long wearing Michelins you can try the T30s next time.
Why be so snarky? Long wearing is just fine with me, but I have not found them to be slow steering at all. Very happy with the PR4s. Have you actually had them on your ST?
Old July 9th, 2014   #4
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
Why be so snarky? Long wearing is just fine with me, but I have not found them to be slow steering at all. Very happy with the PR4s. Have you actually had them on your ST?
At 137,969 miles on my 05 I've lost count of the number of tires I've gone through but before going back to 023s I ran 3 sets of PR3s and I still have a set on the 700. Compared to the 023s the PRs are slow steering tires with numb feedback. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you like that in a tire and you are not out in the edges. The carcass has a semi elliptical profile that Michelin favors. Feedback in the press and from riders is that the 4s are not the game changers the 3s were from the 2s. Solid, planted, reassuring..........nothing wrong with that. You'll probably get 20,000 miles out of them.

I went to PR2s and then the 3s in search of longer wear and willingly gave up handling to get it. I literally could not wait to get off of PR2s though. I beta tested a set of 023s for Bridgestone in 2009 and got 5700 miles out of the rear although I much preferred the handling over the PR2s I was running at the time. I never went back to 023s due to the 5700 ml wear was the same +/-6000 miles I was getting at the time out of Avons. The GT spec 023s gave me 8500 miles and I never got more than about 9 or 9500 out of a PR3. The GT spec made a great difference.

As far as the snarky goes I figured a dealer or owner that liked 023s knew the tire had been discontinued and replaced with the T30 and these are readily available and would immediately feel the difference between the tires.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
Old July 9th, 2014   #5
DanK

Quote:
d

As far as the snarky goes I figured a dealer or owner that liked 023s knew the tire had been discontinued and replaced with the T30 and these are readily available and would immediately feel the difference between the tires.

I also have many miles and sets of tires behind me. FYI I did know023s had been discontinued, but at times my dealer can still get things a while longer. Since he couldn't, I decided to try the PR4s, which you, according to what you just wrote, have voiced a negative opinion on without having actually tried them. Sure you had PR3s. Big deal. That doesn't validate your comment. Basing your opinion that way would be like basing your opinion of the 023's on how the previous model had worked, which most riders seem to have liked much less than the 023s.
Old July 9th, 2014   #6
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Quote:
I also have many miles and sets of tires behind me. FYI I did know023s had been discontinued, but at times my dealer can still get things a while longer. Since he couldn't, I decided to try the PR4s, which you, according to what you just wrote, have voiced a negative opinion on without having actually tried them. Sure you had PR3s. Big deal. That doesn't validate your comment. Basing your opinion that way would be like basing your opinion of the 023's on how the previous model had worked, which most riders seem to have liked much less than the 023s.
Enjoy the new tires and keep us updated.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
Old July 9th, 2014   #7
Blue One

Quote:
I sense a good deal of snarky in your reply as well so don't think you are immune to it.

Quote:
Enjoy the new tires and keep us updated.
I will second that, I'm interested in hearing your impressions on the PR4s.

I find myself hoping that you will be able to recognize if they are a "slower" handling tire.

Not everyone will recognize differences in tire response.
Old July 9th, 2014   #8
SinNH
Donators

I'm interested in the mileage you get from the PR4's.
I have run twelve sets (pairs?) of Bt021 and 23's love the way they handle, wet or not.
Average for all pairs was just over 5200 miles.
The 23 GT I mounted this spring on the ST, was the fn toughest mount I have ever done in probably 80 tyre changes, first GT for me.
Tire heated up in sun, buckets of lube, even with a NoMar, sidewalls are wicked stiff.
Went to a "tech" day this spring, and about four/five ST owners vouched for at least 12/13 thousand miles out of the PR 2/3.
Sold me.
I was planning on PR's for the next tires on the ST.

"The right to keep and bear arms is the one right that allows rights to exist at all."
SinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014   #9
Dan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinNH View Post
Went to a "tech" day this spring, and about four/five ST owners vouched for at least 12/13 thousand miles out of the PR 2/3.
Sold me.
I was planning on PR's for the next tires on the ST.
16k miles here on my last set of PR2s. Guess which tires I have now on my ST
Dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014   #10
GRN

Recently fitted the 4's on the GSX1250, my take:

Noticeably heavy steering at low speed.
Moderately heavy steering to initiate lean at open road speed.
Vague, unpredictable feeling at mid lean at open road speed.
Less grip in the rear at deep lean coming off the apex under significant throttle.

Makes me glad this bike is for sale... I won't be fitting them to the RT.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote