ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old May 8th, 2014   #21
Mick
Loquacious Member

Default Re: replace tires if cupping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Well I posted it because in my experience most bikes have lower pressure recommended for the front. Most 'new to ST1300' people will think 42 in both seems odd, I did!

+1. I don't think I've ever had a bike that called for the same pressure in both wheels other than the ST1300.

Many of us ST1300 owners previously had ST1100's and the tire pressure specs for that bike called for 42# rear and 36# front. Just another reason many new 1300 owners might be wondering about this subject.

Even though the Honda recommended specs for the ST1100 called for 42#/36#, many of us upped the front to 42# specifically to prevent cupping. When I knew I was going to be corner carving on any of my long gone, but not forgotten 1100's, I'd put the front at the recommended 36#. Otherwise the front stayed with 42# because the tires I used at the time were so bad about cupping.

Last edited by Mick; May 8th, 2014 at 04:25 AM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014   #22
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportznut View Post
Sorry I asked. Didn't realize I was putting anyone out
No need to be sorry on your part. I was perhaps a bit hasty in my "criticism" in light of the history with the ST1100 and just different habits that long term motorcyclist have established. Indeed, I am strictly an ST1300 guy and forget that many on this forum had or still have the ST1100 with different recommendations. And I'm sure I've read stories here about others who have maintained the recommended pressure and still suffered cupping.
Old May 8th, 2014   #23
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikSTr View Post
And I'm sure I've read stories here about others who have maintained the recommended pressure and still suffered cupping.
I don't think anyone said the cupping was only due to low pressure, just that it may contribute to it.
Old May 8th, 2014   #24
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikSTr View Post
No need to be sorry on your part. I was perhaps a bit hasty in my "criticism" in light of the history with the ST1100 and just different habits that long term motorcyclist have established. Indeed, I am strictly an ST1300 guy and forget that many on this forum had or still have the ST1100 with different recommendations. And I'm sure I've read stories here about others who have maintained the recommended pressure and still suffered cupping.
FWIW, I find myself often losing patience with answering the same question over and over and over... I regard it as a lack of respect that new members don't search and read the early work that others have put into compiling this information.

HOWEVER! It is one of the rules that we are not supposed to berate our fellow members for asking these questions. Since that is how The Management wants it, I abide by it.
Old May 8th, 2014   #25
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
FWIW, I find myself often losing patience with answering the same question over and over and over... I regard it as a lack of respect that new members don't search and read the early work that others have put into compiling this information.
Maybe giving a link to the previous threads may resolve your problem. I cant see why its frustrating though, you can ignore it, there isn't a compulsory answer rule.

The issue with old threads is they aren't really current either, I mean if, for arguments sake, say Bridgestone brought out a new tyre, like they have, and the general consensus is they are better run on a different pressure how would anyone know if only the old threads were consulted.
Old May 8th, 2014   #26
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

There are no stupid questions, only the occasional irritable responder.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014   #27
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I find that IRRITATING!

Not really. Well played, ligito. Well played.
Old May 8th, 2014   #28
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I get so irritated when my wife says I'm irritable.
Old May 8th, 2014   #29
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Are you sure?
Old May 9th, 2014   #30
Sportznut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
I cant see why its frustrating though, you can ignore it, there isn't a compulsory answer rule.
+1

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk