ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old April 9th, 2014   #1
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default ABS error no. 5

Pan ST1300 ABS.
It's got to be the same system as any Honda with linked brakes...
When I eventually got my pan running the ABS system worked after I bled the system. I rode it up to Scotland and the upshot is it now and always has since, constantly shows an error 5 logged in its memory, Now I have checked the obvious stuff I think, I have reset the error code and it still produces the same one. So in an effort to solve it I'm now looking for info and ideas that don't involve huge amounts of cost.
When I got the bike there was quite a lot of corroded type connectors around and I thought this would be the most likely suspect but fairly detailed investigation has revealed nothing, most of the plugs are perfect the seals good and the pins perfect.
To retrace my steps, last night I re bled the whole system but here's a question, when I got to the 'rear caliper centre bleed valve pumped by hand from the secondary master cylinder', I could only slightly get the fluid to flow. it flowed easily from that valve with the rear brake pedal, Is this normal, I haven't another to try it on?

The error code 5 is 'Rear modulator motor' So my second question is what does it actually do?
Pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1591[1].jpg (65.0 KB, 102 views)
Old April 9th, 2014   #2
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: ABS error no. 5

The Modulator is what keeps the brake from locking up.
It modulates the pressure being sent to the brake caliper.
If more brake is appropriate it allows more pressure, if less then it stops allowing pressure.

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7784.0
How it works on the early ST1100.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014   #3
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
The Modulator is what keeps the brake from locking up.
It modulates the pressure being sent to the brake caliper.
If more brake is appropriate it allows more pressure, if less then it stops allowing pressure.

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7784.0
How it works on the early ST1100.

Paul
Thanks Paul, looks like a very useful link.
Old April 10th, 2014   #4
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

If it's service information you are seeking or simply knowledge of either the ST1100 or ST1300 there is no better place.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014   #5
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

So it begins to look like I'm going to suffer from Hondas superb reliability. I went to my local Honda dealers, Miles Kingsport in Hull today, a friendly bunch and had a natter with a couple of their engineers, basically the books came out and they talked me through all the stuff I had already read and knew about, I asked them if there were any standard issues that would be the first port of call, their answer, "well not really, we have never has an ABS issue to deal with!"

So it looks like my next step is swapping the modulators when I get time....
Old May 17th, 2014   #6
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Well it appears Hondas can repair themselves.
One of my pet hates about the internet is when you find an issue you want to read about and there is no answer so FWIW here's the result to end the thread.
Whilst the issue of ABS light blinking was irritating I decided to leave it till after the summer, I didn't want too much bike down time. My next stage in the repair was to swap over the modulator motors, so I had that pencilled in for Autumn. Now the bikes done around 5k miles like this and after a spirited ride the light just decides to go out, When I noticed, I stopped the bike and started it again and perfect, light on till it starts to move then out. Now previously I had meticulously inspected sensor air gaps and wiring connectors, all perfect so It wasn't that. Thinking back to the ride that day I actually think I maybe locked the rear and in my mind I can imagine the ABS cutting in now, so whilst I cant prove it I suspect forcing the ABS to cut in may have solved the problem.
Maybe it's a solution for anyone else with the issue, if there's any more to tell I will update this thread.
Old May 17th, 2014   #7
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Well it appears Hondas can repair themselves.
One of my pet hates about the internet is when you find an issue you want to read about and there is no answer so FWIW here's the result to end the thread. .
In the ABS system . . . their is informatics involve in this process ,plus also many electronics and electrics components .This is a good mix to create many types of " Gremlins " . . . maybe for now ,You are simply lucky because the good one is back I wish for You that I am wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Thinking back to the ride that day I actually think I maybe locked the rear and in my mind I can imagine the ABS cutting in now, so whilst I cant prove it I suspect forcing the ABS to cut in may have solved the problem.
Maybe it's a solution for anyone else with the issue, if there's any more to tell I will update this thread.

I my memory is good ,the system is inactive only under 16 KLM / H , I tesded it , on my '03 a couple of time on dirt road . . . so ,at wath speed do You think You where able to lock the rear wheel ?

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014   #8
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEINADEUGAL View Post
I my memory is good ,the system is inactive only under 16 KLM / H , I tesded it , on my '03 a couple of time on dirt road . . . so ,at wath speed do You think You where able to lock the rear wheel ?
As a total guess I'd reckon 25-30 mph, a steep hill with bits of gravel in the centre, back end would be light, In my mind I'm pretty sure the bike skipped a little at the back, I cant say for sure, its just what I think may have caused the system to start working again.
Old July 4th, 2015   #9
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

And so this gremlin persists, error no 5.
So to establish the rear sensor is working can I ask if anyone could confirm this test for me.
If I start the bike on the main stand, select gear1 and let the rear wheel spin the bike shows no error code, the ABS light stays constantly illuminated.
If I start the bike and spin the front wheel only, the ABS light stays constantly illuminated.
If I start the bike and select 1st gear and let the rear spin, then go to the front and spin that too, then the ABS light starts to flash.
Am I right in thinking both wheel sensors are working if it shows the error only when both wheels revolve?

What I'd like to know is will the bike show an error if only the rear is turning on the main stand?