ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old April 19th, 2017   #71
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Brakes dragging - Possibles causes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan55 View Post
Went outside with my wife.

No pressure on the rear brake pedal;
SMC have its normal play back and forth, let's say I can push-pull approx 1 mm back and forth.

With pressure on the rear brake pedal;
No more play
Okay, that sounds about right. I'd have been surprised if there was a dirty type issue anyway given the picture of your rear caliper is so clean.
Are you sure it's dragging? The rear disc can appear a lot warmer than the front as it's shrouded by the bike and has the exhausts etc all round it.
Old April 19th, 2017   #72
Dan55

Rob, the rear disc rotor is very hot, I mean, I can barely touch it. And it's getting worse, the wheel is now hard to rotate when the bike is on its center stand. I suspect the problem may comes from the SMC; not sure, but looking under the rubber booth, I can see some corrosion on the rod between the piston and the joint "u" shaped bracket that connects to the fork. I don't trust it right now so I ordered a SMC rebuilt kit from Honda. After the SMC rebuilt, I will flush brake fluid following the procedure in the Honda shop manual. Hope these operations will cure the problem. Rebuild kit will come in next week. Will keep you posted.

BTW, are you still riding in U.S. ?
Dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017   #73
echo
The sky is falling...

Did you perform the scheduled maintenance as outlined in the OM on the brakes?

Also I see you live in Canada. Do you think salt on the roads has anything to do with the problem?

Thanks!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017   #74
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Rob, the rear disc rotor is very hot, I mean, I can barely touch it. And it's getting worse, the wheel is now hard to rotate when the bike is on its center stand. I suspect the problem may comes from the SMC; not sure, but looking under the rubber booth, I can see some corrosion on the rod between the piston and the joint "u" shaped bracket that connects to the fork. I don't trust it right now so I ordered a SMC rebuilt kit from Honda. After the SMC rebuilt, I will flush brake fluid following the procedure in the Honda shop manual. Hope these operations will cure the problem. Rebuild kit will come in next week. Will keep you posted.

BTW, are you still riding in U.S. ?
No unfortunately back home now.
As an idea if it's binding all the time, even cold on the main stand you could release any pressure by loosening the bleed valves, this would show if the caliper has pressure to it or if it's a stuck piston in the caliper type issue.
Old April 20th, 2017   #75
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 89 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Corrosion on the piston rod would indicate moisture intrusion.
Keep in mind beginning with the 2008 year model Honda addressed moisture with a new design SMC Body to improve drainage.

It would be my recommendation for any pre-2008 model owners that encounter corrosion on the piston rod that along with the rebuild kit a SMC body be ordered and replaced.
06454-MCS-G02 it is not terribly expensive and was designed to improve drainage.
With that said it is still critical the regular service to the LBS,(CBS as it is known in Europe) be preformed.
In my opinion the 2 year 12,000 mile service interval on the fluid change is to long a time period in most areas where the ST is employed.
Moisture intrusion IS a problem and it can be warded off very easily.
Service the system on a yearly basis, before you put it to bed for the Winters nap if you live in the Winter nap region.
When washing the bike watch where you are spraying water.
That is a brake master cylinder there guys you are not going to wash the brake dust off so quite trying.
Like your car and it's wheels you remove brake dust by hand.
Service the fluid as a regular yearly maintenance item.
It's not hard it IS your stopping system.

The SMC is what makes the LBS/CBS work.
It is a simple design that works very well and extreemly effectively but it does require some maintenance. Nothing out of the ordinary nor difficult but maintenance all the same.

We have a growing history of owners that service the system on a regular basis NOT having SMC issues.
Those that do not service the system encounter problems with brake drag that can get seriously expensive to downright dangerous.
Then we have the deniers. Idiots on Steroids. Best ignored.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; April 20th, 2017 at 05:00 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017   #76
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 150 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I was unaware of any issues with the SMC and/or the maintenance thereof.
I went for a very wet ride and put the bike away for a couple of months.
Then, while on a trip, my brakes locked up, the hose caught fire and the ride ended, with a very expensive repair.
It even burned the bottom of the left saddle bag, requiring replacement.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017   #77
Dan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I was unaware of any issues with the SMC and/or the maintenance thereof.
I went for a very wet ride and put the bike away for a couple of months.
Then, while on a trip, my brakes locked up, the hose caught fire and the ride ended, with a very expensive repair.
It even burned the bottom of the left saddle bag, requiring replacement.
Well, at least, I didn't reach this situation. I congratulate myself to always do a short check ride at the beginning of each season. Now, brake fluid replacement is on my to-do list each year...
Old April 20th, 2017   #78
Dan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
No unfortunately back home now.
As an idea if it's binding all the time, even cold on the main stand you could release any pressure by loosening the bleed valves, this would show if the caliper has pressure to it or if it's a stuck piston in the caliper type issue.
Good idea, I may check this in the next days if weather cooperates. Lots of rain in the area and no garage for me
Old April 20th, 2017   #79
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Well, at least, I didn't reach this situation. I congratulate myself to always do a short check ride at the beginning of each season. Now, brake fluid replacement is on my to-do list each year...
Yes changing the brake fluid twice as often as the manufacturer calls for is also the conclusion I came to to ensure safe operation of the linked brake system on these bikes.

Is that also your recommendation Paul? Or do you think one can safely follow the manufacturers recommendations?

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017   #80
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Yes changing the brake fluid twice as often as the manufacturer calls for is also the conclusion I came to to ensure safe operation of the linked brake system on these bikes.

Is that also your recommendation Paul? Or do you think one can safely follow the manufacturers recommendations?
Interpreted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Ohhh, ohhh, I just spotted an opportunity to start a technical argument to make people realise how fantastic a person I am and get lots of attention. I do hope no one realises how little I know about it, still that wont matter, my fans love me.