ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old March 1st, 2014   #21
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brakes dragging - Possibles causes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan55 View Post
I've heard that some are quite difficult to reach. BTW, this dripping happens every winter and as soon as it is warm enough, it stops. But I know, I will have to do it at some point.

Anyone ever did a round of hose clamps tightening?
Yes, every time I change fluid.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014   #22
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
I have never seen a coolant leak of that size.
I would consider a leak this size to be substantial and of need of attention.
Generally winter leaks can be explained by sudden lower temperatures for bike sitting in unheated garages. These leaks are normally found coming from the water pump seal and a small in nature, several drops.
The first thing I would do is see if the source can be located.
The thermostat housing sits in a location that usually drips onto the front engine cover and trail of fluid is down the front engine cover.
The hose clamps leaking will show up on the right front engine case again as a trail of fluid or a stain where the fluid has run.
On the right side lower black piece look through the hole with a flashlight and look for a stain on the engine case at the front right edge, in front of the exhaust pipe.
One other leak source can be the water pump seal. A mechanical seal that is known for leakage when the temperatures drop on bikes sitting in unheated garages. These seals also have a self-healing ability when the bike is ridden because of the way they seal, friction.
Your leak looks excessive for the common mechanical seal leak.

You had the bike serviced recently.
Was the coolant catch bottle topped up?

See if you can find the source of the leak.
A mirror and a flashlight can locate most anything leaking on these bikes.
We can fix this.

And yes I think we have all had the hose leak syndrome.
Common, generally a one time tightening of the clamps cure.
And yes again it can be a bitch. It requires the lifting of the throttle bodies.

Paul
Paul . . . like Dan , my ST is stored from November to April aproximatly each year, in my unheated garage ,the amount of coulant show in Dan's pictures was normal a couple of years back for my ST also even after all the hose where retigthten by myself and none was forgotten

On Winter 2000 to 2004 ,there was my '91 ST 1100 and my Friend's '95 ST 1100 and both had pan underneat and in the pan ,each Winter there was coulant in both of them . . . at the end of the season we just mesured the quantity lost and readed the same quantity in each overflow bottle. In Province of Quebec , we experience a lot of temperature variation and this occurs all Winter long . . . so it is normal to see waterpump seal leak each Winter and the quantity of coulant is just an indication of how many temperatures variations we had

Now it is more than that , at 216000 KLM and I do not worry .I am use to see this each Year since Winter 2002 to 2003 . . . thats rigth ,My ST 1300 A received on the end of October, it was snowing the day I got it in is crate and was delivered to my garage on a trailer was brand new ,and it leaked in the garage that Winter . . . did not bother to call the Dealer or neither Honda ,did not call the Police also . . . WTF ,this is normal for a ST in the southtern parts of " La Belle Province "

Just have to remenber the last two years quantity to compare and their is an evident progress ,with millage and age , in the quantity comming out of the waterpump hole .Each Spring after the first ride ,it cure by itself .Some ST Owners I know, in our region ,had the seal or the Pump changed . . . some on the waranty ,and in some case ,their ST where leaking the next Winter and in one case . . . a Dealer's bad job ended in one leaking all the time . Oh ! by the way Paul . . . I remember one Winter ,I had a of an Imperial cup of coolant in the pan . . . and this Winter will be aproximatly the same for my ST this Winter .

Daniel

Last edited by LEINADEUGAL; March 1st, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014   #23
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
A brief description of the water pump seal I wrote up some time ago.http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....5&d=1393684567

Paul
That was a verry good writing You did in the past ,on the subject , Paul . . . Thank You ! Not the firST time I read it . . . and still learning good thing from it

Daniel

Last edited by LEINADEUGAL; March 1st, 2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old March 1st, 2014   #24
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I guess I've been lucky with mine, no drips and my detached garage is not heated.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014   #25
Dan55

Title is no good anymore, should be changed to Coolant Leak!

Quote:
And yes again it can be a bitch. It requires the lifting of the throttle bodies.

Paul
Gulp!, This is beyond my mechanical abilities...
Dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014   #26
Dan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEINADEUGAL View Post
so it is normal to see waterpump seal leak each Winter and the quantity of coulant is just an indication of how many temperatures variations we had
Daniel
Paul, here I tend to agree with Dan. Last winter was less harsh as far as cold weather variations compared to this winter and one could think that the quantity of lost coolant is kind of matching that difference i.e. a bit more coolant dripping this year. Plus, it is also the best solution for the lazy of this world like me. But I agree it is important to monitor this. So as soon as I start the ST this spring I will check like previous years for any coolant leak after the first warm-ups of the season.

And thanks, your write up about water pump seals is already printed.

Dan
Old March 1st, 2014   #27
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

November to April is what most of us here consider prime riding season.
This time of year we ride bug free, April is pushing bug free though.
Ice is something we still use in drinks this time of the year.
Snow is a minor inconvenience. If it snowed last night we delay the ride till noon. Snow gone street dry.
Our off season starts in about two weeks. About mid March until early May we will loose more days to wind than all other weather events combined. Dust is the big issue. New Mexico and Arizona can be seen rushing by in the form of the brown sky. We don't pay for sandblast we hang it on the clothesline.

I have three water cooled Honda's with the mechanical seal.
A pair of 1976 Goldwings and the 2003 ST.
All three combined have never put out as much coolant as in the pictures in their life.
Good weather does have advantages.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014   #28
Dan55

Quote:
We don't pay for sandblast we hang it on the clothesline.
I like this one
Old March 2nd, 2014   #29
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
November to April is what most of us here consider prime riding season.Paul
Paul , anyway ,even if the pavement is dry ,since 2008 ,here in Province of Quebec ,motorcycle (ecxept the Police one ) are not allowed to ride,because of the snow tire law and also their is no winter tire for the ST , from 15 of December until 15 of March ,but it is possible to have a special permit if You intend to go in the US for a trip . . . take a look at the awnser at the question 10
http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...on_pneus_hiver

Daniel
Old March 2nd, 2014   #30
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Title is no good anymore, should be changed to Coolant Leak!
We have a tendency to do that on many post here on,but it keep the post alive

Quote:
Gulp!, This is beyond my mechanical abilities...
Do not worry Dan . . . to go under the trottle body is not that hard with a Honda shop manual . . . and the help of the Forum is always there

Daniel

Last edited by LEINADEUGAL; March 2nd, 2014 at 08:54 AM.