ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old February 16th, 2014   #1
rogersp

Default Tyres - Matched Set?

Hi

Fitted a Michelin PR3 on the front of my ST about a year ago after having a pair on another bike.

On the rear I currently have a BS 023 which has run well with the PR3. They have run together for over 6k miles across Europe in torrential rain and at 35 degrees, over 90F, in the Alps on two trips last year. The question I have is whether I should fit a PR3 or PR4 on the rear?

Clearly the PR3s will run well as a pair but what about the PR4 with PR3 on the front, will it create me any problems?

All opinions and considerations welcome.

Thank you
rogersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tyres - Matched Set?

The PR4 is so new over here in the U.S. that I don't know anyone who actually has a set. I thought the PR2 was fantastic, until I ran the PR3. Love the PR3.

I don't see how mismatching PR3s and PR4s would be any worse than running BT-023s and PR3s. At least with the Pilot Roads they are both the same brand and similar tread patterns.
Old February 16th, 2014   #3
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

It has always been my opinion that tires are all about feel and I have never been opposed to running a mix-match set.
With that said I also believe that a new rear, of any manufacture, in conjunction with a used front, again any manufacture, will deliver questionable handling up front if even slightly pushed.
I change tires as a set but that set does not have to come from the same series or manufacture.
If I am comfortable with the feel I run them.
All except Dunlops. I would not run Dunlops even with Dunlops.
Dunlops belong in the crusher.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014   #4
roginoz

So, you had one of the RoadSmarts, too?DSCF0584 (Medium).JPG
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350
roginoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014   #5
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

I'd double check with Michelin, if they say you can mix you can, softer compounds should never be used on the rear than the front and insurance is becoming an issue now too, incorrect tyres are one of the things they check to invalidate claims.
Old February 17th, 2014   #6
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginoz View Post
So, you had one of the RoadSmarts, too?Attachment 2944
Crikey, that looks nasty, did you hit something? Did it go flat fast? If it stayed inflated after getting torn I reckon that's a testament to a good tyre, if you reckon it just disintegrated that's not so good...
Old February 17th, 2014   #7
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
incorrect tyres are one of the things they check to invalidate claims.
So far this is not happening in the U.S. Do remember that there are plenty of folks running car tires on the rear because of longevity. And NO!!! I am not starting that discussion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Crikey, that looks nasty, did you hit something? Did it go flat fast? If it stayed inflated after getting torn I reckon that's a testament to a good tyre, if you reckon it just disintegrated that's not so good...
The early Dunlop Roadsmart tires were famous for doing exactly what that excellent pic shows. No, he probably did not hit anything. Those Dunlops were junk. Supposedly Dunlop has fixed all those issues. They can experiment on someone else, I will not run them.
Old February 17th, 2014   #8
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersp View Post
Hi
Clearly the PR3s will run well as a pair but what about the PR4 with PR3 on the front, will it create me any problems?
You should have no problem at all. I've run different types of tires plenty of times with no ill effect. I don't change out a tire unless it's worn out.

I've even got no problems with different brands of tires (front vs. rear) much less different types of the same brand if one of them is not worn out. Until just recently, I was running a front PR-3 and a rear Roadsmart. I just changed out the rear Roadsmart(came with the bike) a couple of weeks ago with a new PR-3 so now I've got PR-3's on both ends.

I also have no problem with tires of different mileages. At the time of my most recent tire change, I had almost 7k miles on the front PR-3 so now I'm running a well used front with brand new rear. Funny thing is I hardly notice the difference but then my riding is pretty sedate these days. About the only time I notice a big difference in handling is when I put a new tire on the front.

As an extreme example of tire mixing, one of the most popular tire combos for guys running the Iron Butt on ST1100s years ago was a front Metzler radial (forget the model) and a rear Michelin ME880 bias ply. It was a combo used for maximum tire mileage, not something for the track but the point is, had it been unsafe, I don't think it would have been used.

Our ST's aren't track bikes so differences in types & mileages will make very little difference to the average rider.

Last edited by Mick; February 17th, 2014 at 06:39 AM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014   #9
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
The early Dunlop Roadsmart tires were famous for doing exactly what that excellent pic shows.
That picture and others similar to it gave me serious pause for concern when I bought my ST1300 a couple of years ago. After getting the bike home I started reading as many ST1300 posts as I could to become more familiar with this new to me bike and I ran across threads about the problematic Roadsmart. Here I had just purchased a bike with front & rear Roadsmarts on it and had ridden it back home 600 miles in temps as high as 108 degrees at interstate highway speeds! Glad my front Roadsmart wasn't one of those destined to delaminate on the highway.

Further research about the Roadsmarts revealed that only the fronts were experiencing a relatively high percentage of failures. The rears were reportedly OK, so just a few weeks after my purchase of the ST, I replaced the front only.

Last edited by Mick; February 17th, 2014 at 08:11 AM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014   #10
Wjbertrand
ST guru

I had a front RoadSmart let go on me too. Had I ridden any farther on it than I did, it would have looked just like that one! Mine developed a split and then a raised bubble about 10" long around the perimeter of the tire where the tread had completely separated from the carcass. I was very lucky because my failure actually happened on the freeway off ramp as I was decelerating.

I don't recall taking any kind of impact that would have caused this.

It held air long enough for me to wobble into the parking lot at work a block or so from the ramp. My SmarTire TPMS system still showed normal pressure when I stopped. By the time I was able go out at lunch and inspect it, the tire was completely deflated.

Later upon dismounting the tire, I found that some wires from the steel belt had punctured the inner butyl liner, explaining the pressure loss.

Had this happened on the freeway at speed the results could have been catastrophic. I will never buy another Dunlop tire for my bike or any of my cages ever again.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote