ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old June 23rd, 2013   #1
MilesB4Me

Default Tire wear

Rear tire wears evenly but on the sides the original only made it about 7.5k miles. I have the 2nd rear tire, different brand, on with about 4k miles and it is doing the same thing. It's about half worn out on the sides. Tire pressure is 42-43 lbs. I do ride fairly hard through our curvy roads. Maybe the tires made for this bike are soft for good traction.
MilesB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tire wear

Try giving us some specifics on what brand/model tires you are running. Depending on load/riding style/road type/road surface/road temp and many other factors, your wear might be exactly right. Give us some details.

Last edited by Redfish; June 24th, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013   #3
echo
The sky is falling...

7.5k miles is probably a pretty good average for rear tire life on these bikes. Sounds like you situation is typical for those who ride agggressively in the corners a lot. I on the other hand have problems keeping the center of the tire from wearing out.

I think the problem with motorcycle tires is they have line contact with the road. This concentrates the wear all in one place on the circumference of the tire. Car tires on the other hand wear across the width of the tire, thus the tire wears evenly side to side. Or tends to.

What you need is a car tire on the rear. If you want to rack up a lot of miles. Theres millions of miles of experience using car tires on the ST 1300. HUndreds of thousands? A lot anyways.

Car tires are not for everyone but they would solve your problem. Probably while creating others.

Of course there are drawbacks.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013   #4
maura
Super Moderator

For the ST1300 , 7,500 is very much in the normal range. Unless you go with a tire designed for mileage over other considerations, this is what you get. As you like the curves, I doubt you will prefer the long wearing tires.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013   #5
Poppi
Donators

I have about 5,000 miles on my rear tire and it still looks like new (sides and center).

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013   #6
horst

tire wear depends on many things -

- road surface (smooth hwy or rough secondary ?)
- riding style (full throttle ?)
- the tire compound

and a few other things ....
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013   #7
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi View Post
I have about 5,000 miles on my rear tire and it still looks like new (sides and center).

Dale
Is that the tyre in your profile pic? Over here in the UK the first thing that would happen if you stuffed the bike is the insurers would invalidate your insurance for non recommended tyres. Apparently it's happening quite a lot now as there are so many tyre sizes and makes easily available but maybe with an incorrect speed rating for the bike.
Old October 27th, 2013   #8
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
7.5k miles is probably a pretty good average for rear tire life on these bikes. Sounds like you situation is typical for those who ride agggressively in the corners a lot. I on the other hand have problems keeping the center of the tire from wearing out.

I think the problem with motorcycle tires is they have line contact with the road. This concentrates the wear all in one place on the circumference of the tire. Car tires on the other hand wear across the width of the tire, thus the tire wears evenly side to side. Or tends to.

What you need is a car tire on the rear. If you want to rack up a lot of miles. Theres millions of miles of experience using car tires on the ST 1300. HUndreds of thousands? A lot anyways.

Car tires are not for everyone but they would solve your problem. Probably while creating others.

Of course there are drawbacks.
Maybe reading up a little about tyre manufacture and dual compounds etc would help fill your understanding of tyre wear.
Old October 27th, 2013   #9
Poppi
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Is that the tyre in your profile pic? Over here in the UK the first thing that would happen if you stuffed the bike is the insurers would invalidate your insurance for non recommended tyres. Apparently it's happening quite a lot now as there are so many tyre sizes and makes easily available but maybe with an incorrect speed rating for the bike.
Your quote above is one of the reasons I wouldn't live in europe - too restrictive. But, I fear, as the USA becomes more and more liberal, more and more a "nanny state", more and more europeanized, we will suffer the same loss of our freedom to choose.

So, I ride on, and on the tire I choose to ride on. Call it a "cowboy mentallity", I call it a "freedom of choice". ZOOM - ZOOM!! (credit to Mazda)

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013   #10
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi View Post
Your quote above is one of the reasons I wouldn't live in europe - too restrictive. But, I fear, as the USA becomes more and more liberal, more and more a "nanny state", more and more europeanized, we will suffer the same loss of our freedom to choose.

So, I ride on, and on the tire I choose to ride on. Call it a "cowboy mentallity", I call it a "freedom of choice". ZOOM - ZOOM!! (credit to Mazda)

Dale
LOL, I envy your freedom of choice over there, that said though there's sound engineering principals behind Mr. Hondas tyre recommendations even though he didn't imagine uses of the thousands of miles you have to cover. I chuckled to myself last year driving up the I9, when the sat nav said "turn right in 169 miles"