ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Tank Bags, Top Cases, Luggage & Racks

Old April 25th, 2013   #1
Garry in AZ

Question Value and usefulness of ST top box?

Hi, I'm looking at several used ST's for sale in the Phoenix area. The bike I buy will be set up pretty much exclusively for IBA type rides and multi-day rallying. It will be for a single rider, with the usual LD farkles like a fuel cell, hydration system, multiple GPS units, lights, etc.

A couple of the bikes I'm considering have the optional top box, and their asking prices seem to reflect it. My question to those of you who use one, how do you like it? Is it common or possible to mount a fuel cell under the top box? I'm concerned about raising the CG too much. Is the pillion space more suitable for a fuel cell?

Thanks in advance!

Garry
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013   #2
PeterMoorhouse

Rep Power: 0 PeterMoorhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I like my top box - because it's a bit easier to just toss stuff into, I tend to use it for my laptop backpack when I'm commuting, and for extra clothes, etc. It also functions as a backrest, and since I ride with a passenger often, I would need to buy a backrest if it wasn't there.

I've had it pretty close to capacity weight and I didn't find it affected the center of gravity.

All that said, if I was mainly riding solo, and needed the space for something else (like a fuel cell) I could live without. The side bags have a ton of capacity (especially if you don't need to put a helmet in there).
PeterMoorhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013   #3
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Value and usefulness of ST top box?

Hi Garry,

I use my Hondaline Trunk all the time. It is very useful for rallies. I like to keep my extra gloves, balaclavas, laptop/netbook, plus other things in there.

I use my saddle bags for my clothes, tools, tire repair kit, first aid kit, and for spare parts I like to carry.

Most every ST1300 rally rider puts their Aux Fuel tank up over the passenger seat on a custom rack and taps a line into the lower stock tank.

The only person that I know of who had a "Tail-dragger" aux tank made for the ST1300 is Alan Barbic. However, it was a one-off tank and it was pretty expensive. I do not believe he still has that bike, though.

The person who made my last ST1300 Aux Tank is Roy Fletcher. His number is 206-409-6048.

For my hydration system, I bought some TSR water bladders with drink tubes and bite values and put the bladders inside a couple of passenger panniers from Rider Wearhouse. These then sit on the passenger footpegs and strap up under my seat. I then route the drink tubes (insulated with neoprene tubes) up to my tankbag and clipped there with a couple retractable lanyards.

The TSR water bladders are pretty robust and have a large mouth opening which allows you to put lots of ice in the bladders. The TSR bladders will hold 2 liters each and I use two of them (one on either side) but, I only fill them about halfway.

I hope these ideas help you out.

Here's a couple of pictures of my bike full laden for a rally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sideviewrallyready.jpg (81.4 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Ontheroad.jpg (41.3 KB, 247 views)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013   #4
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 84 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Mounting the fuel cell under the top box would require a fairly elaborate mount as the top box mount is effect mounted to plastic and I would be concerned as to the weight. The top box itself will affect handling if run at or near it's load capacity. Mounting 4.5 gallons on fuel and then the box on top of that would certainly be felt.
I think I would stick to the rear seat mounting for the fuel with some consideration as to a design that allows the lid of the top box to fully open.
Water on the passenger pegs.
Dash shelf for GPS, goodies, etc.

Paul
Old April 25th, 2013   #5
suprasabre

I commute pretty much daily and would be lost without my topbox. And as others have said, you don't want to get too much more weight up there.

Just for a used topbox, it can run you $500. That's why the prices will reflect it!
2005 ST1300 - 174.3K miles (since Nov 2005, sold to #2 son, in Portland -June 2013)
2004 ST1300 - 12K miles - since Feb 2012 - (re-Restored)
2010 ST1300 - 18K since Apr 2013 - Will soon be Blue)
suprasabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013   #6
maura
Super Moderator

I do not have the hondaline, I have the givi, but I consider it essential. Note you cannot load it up, you must use it for light stuff only.

I have a fuel cell on my passenger seat, I concur with Paul, fuel in a location further back might be problematic.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013   #7
echo
The sky is falling...

But... wouldnt a pillion do the same thing ie high weight far back?

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013   #8
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 84 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
But... wouldnt a pillion do the same thing ie high weight far back?
No. Totally different.

Paul
Old April 26th, 2013   #9
Garry in AZ

Thanks to everyone for your wisdom and insight. You have confirmed two points that I have been suspecting, first the top box is worth paying a little more for, and that the best place for more fuel is in the pillion position. And thanks Joe for the advice on the hydration setup. I have used the setup you mentioned before on one of my other bikes.

I'm sure I'll have quite a few more questions as I decide on the bike and begin the farkeling process. I'll try not to make them stupid questions, but no promises!

Thanks again, everyone!

Garry

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013   #10
echo
The sky is falling...

Just go easy on the purple ink.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote