ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Tank Bags, Top Cases, Luggage & Racks

Old June 8th, 2012   #11
Blue One

Default Re: Insulating Fairing Storage Pockets??

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWingit View Post
Blue One,

With all due respect, your solution is not simple and also very expensive! No question, if I ever get into a crash which totals my '03 there could be some extra damage to my side fairings. Other then that no problem, as stated I had a coyote run right into that area without doing any damage. The coyote was dead before I got turned around.

I am no tree hugger by any means but the stock mufflers with the cats do work. A few years ago at Westoc a group of ST1300's were lined up under a building overhang and all were getting ready for a ride. When the ST1300 with Stayin tunes started I couldn't believe the pollution coming from that bike compared to the stock ones.

My solution is free and it can be swiched back for free. BTW nice job on the swiss cheese job.

Ed

Well OK, not cheap but very effective. As far as pollution goes ? I'll keep my Staintunes and avoid the heat from the stock pipes and definitely don't worry about a few extra fumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
The ST1300 has a heat problem?
Having ridden my ST in stock form in Texas summer, July and August I can tell you that with the bike in stock form I was miserable.

The lower parts of my legs and my thighs were baked to the point of seriously red skin even with riding boots and pants.

After my modifications the difference is very drastic. It's like a totally different bike in hot conditions.

Last edited by Blue One; June 8th, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012   #12
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue One View Post
Well OK, not cheap but very effective. As far as pollution goes ? I'll keep my Staintunes and to heck with the heat or a few extra fumes.

Having ridden my ST in stock form in Texas summer, July and August I can tell you that with the bike in stock form I was miserable.

The lower parts of my legs and my thighs were baked to the point of seriously red skin even with riding boots and pants.
After my modifications the difference is very drastic. It's like a totally different bike in hot conditions.
TX is hot for sure. Seriously, I have never noticed a heat problem in 110,000 miles including 6 summers. I live in Fl, seen 105 on the air temp gauge before. Some folks are affected more by heat I guess. Some folks can't deal with it at all and others don't notice.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012   #13
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I am in South Louisiana and during the most intense heat of summer I have no heat issues. I always feel more heat coming from the road surface than the bike itself.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012   #14
zoridog

As an owner of a BMW K100RT I feel like an expert in motorcycle barbeque. That bike holds all of the engine heat in the fairing until the fan kicks on. I have never been able to ride it in 80 degree plus temperatures. I rode the ST1300 in 90 degree weather this past week and I'm impressed by the fact that the heat is just an annoyance at that temperature.

I really like the lower cowl modification executed by Blue One. It is on my list of things to do before the temps climb into the mid 90s. The heat I feel hits me just below the knee. My boots protect my legs to mid calf. Even with mesh pants I can't seem to dodge that knee burn.

In the past, I have always subscribed to the philosophy of riding a naked bike in June, July and August. This year I need to empty the garage and simplify my motorcycle hobby down to one bike. Let's see how long that strategy lasts.
zoridog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012   #15
CGRedRed
Forum Supporter

A re-post for newer ST1300 owners:
I had some shin-level heat problems with my mesh pants, too, so I fabricated some air deflectors that have pretty much solved the problem. (inner fairings have been altered, of course) They were to be for summer only, 3 years ago, but they look OK and I have left them in place permanently. The material is polypropylene from magazine storage boxes or the like from any large stationery store. The angle shown is a little less than 90 degrees which just happens to position the wings perfectly in the plane of the fairing at the knees.
each deflector is attached with push rivets from Pep Boys, but I had to replace the rivets with longer metal screws after losing a deflector.
Tim Shevlin #1183
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST13AirDefl1.jpg (91.8 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg ST13AirDefl2.jpg (81.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg ST13AirDefl3.jpg (136.4 KB, 129 views)
CGRedRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012   #16
zoridog

Thanks for posting Tim! That looks like what I need.
Old June 15th, 2012   #17
Blue One

I have the Hondaline fairing extension trim that accomplishes much the same and looks good too.
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012   #18
zoridog

I removed my lower cowls tonight. Wednesday and Thursday are forcasted to be 92 degrees and . I'll let you know how it works out. Hopefully I won't run into any coyotes during the test run.
Old June 16th, 2012   #19
mgilles0

It was in the low nineties today as I rode from Ashland to Roseburg, Oregon. I had no heat problems, but I would have not wanted to put anything heat sensitive in my fairing pockets.
mgilles0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012   #20
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.

WE are talking about removing the inner cowls not the lower ones.

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote