ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Tank Bags, Top Cases, Luggage & Racks

Old June 6th, 2012   #1
mgilles0

Default Insulating Fairing Storage Pockets??

I am curious. Has anyone tried insulating or venting their fairing storage pockets to make them usable as an alternative to a tank bag?
mgilles0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012   #2
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.
Default Re: Insulating Fairing Storage Pockets??

If you remove your two inner cowls your fairing pockets will be much cooler and in fact only slightly above ambient temps while riding. Everything else under the fairing including the tank and your legs will be cooler.

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012   #3
Blue One

As for insulating the fairing pockets, it has been tried in many ways with many different materials with always the same results, failure.

The convection heat transfer will just heat up the insulating material which then passes the heat on through, its just a matter of time.
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012   #4
OldWingit

Removing the inner cowls sends fresh air that has not been forced through the radiator to cool the pockets. The motor does not run hotter as the fans, when needed still come on as before. Mine have been out for eight years and are never going back in.

Ed
Old June 7th, 2012   #5
Haze

Can you offer any instructions on taking out the cowlings?
Pictures??
Are any braces needed after the cowlings are removed?
Thanks,
David C.
Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012   #6
OldWingit

Just take a look behind the front wheel, there are several screws and push pins holding the left and right cowls in. Nothing else has to be removed but you will have to take a tie wrap and secure the air temp senser on the right side. Yes, I recomend bracing the side fairing to the under heeadlight plasitic buy cutting off the front upper corner of each cowl and reinstalling with one screw and one pin as before. This will get back most of the stiffness to this area. Mine has been to 135 mph and hit in the side by a coyote at 60 with no problems.

Ed
Old June 7th, 2012   #7
OldWingit

Another thing, befrore cutting the corner off the two cowls for bracing, just take them out in a hot spell and try it, you can always put them back in. Others have cut a lot of vents in the cowls and this helps some but I think the total removal is more effective from what has been posted here. Some folks just remove them for hot weather. Actually my cut cowls could be put back in the winter , but I don't ride when there is three ft of snow on the ground! Try it and good luck

Ed
Old June 8th, 2012   #8
Blue One

Removing the inner cowls is really a poor idea. They provide structural strength and support to the fairing.

Here is a list of what I did to aleviate heat problems on My 04 ABS ST :
Solving any heat issue is really simple. Follow the steps below and no problem at all.

1) Install Staintune exhaust. They run much cooler and help get rid of heat that builds in the stock exhaust. Added benefits, they weigh at least 13 lbs less and sound nice. A small bit of midrange power gain I think as well. The Staintunes run a lot cooler, and will not heat up your saddlebags like the stock exhaust.
You can touch the exhaust muffler cans with a bare hand about 10 minutes after riding with the Staintunes.
Try that with stock exhaust, If you do be sure to have some good burn ointment handy.

2) Ceramic coat the rest of the exhaust. Looks good and makes a huge difference in operating temperature. With the Staintunes and coated exhaust you no longer cook your lower legs or feet.

3) Drill out the inner cowls to resemble swiss cheese. The added airflow helps remove heat.

4) Install a TT thermostat and make sure the cooling system is operating at it's peak, no leaks or low coolant levels.
Breeze constant torque hose clamps (7 locations) will solve any leaks from the hoses.

All of these things combined, drastically lowered the heat I feel when riding my 04 ABS ST.

The difference was pretty dramatic, making the bike a pleasure to ride, even in July in Texas.

Larry

A picture of my cowls as I drilled them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001%20(3).JPG (141.0 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by Blue One; June 8th, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012   #9
OldWingit

Blue One,

With all due respect, your solution is not simple and also very expensive! No question, if I ever get into a crash which totals my '03 there could be some extra damage to my side fairings. Other then that no problem, as stated I had a coyote run right into that area without doing any damage. The coyote was dead before I got turned around.

I am no tree hugger by any means but the stock mufflers with the cats do work. A few years ago at Westoc a group of ST1300's were lined up under a building overhang and all were getting ready for a ride. When the ST1300 with Stayin tunes started I couldn't believe the pollution coming from that bike compared to the stock ones.

My solution is free and it can be swiched back for free. BTW nice job on the swiss cheese job.

Ed
Old June 8th, 2012   #10
dduelin
Loquacious Member

The ST1300 has a heat problem?

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote