ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old December 19th, 2011   #11
adecood

Default Re: New Tire on ST-1300 - Now On Darkside

I am no tire engineer. But I understand the basic's physics of a motorcycle and how it functions in a curve and I think all of you guy's are nuts for putting a car tire on a bike. Of course if all you ever do is go in a straight line than you'll be kinda OK. But the minute your life depends on you making that quick "S" turn to avoid some maniac in a cage don't count on those care tires ever saving you hide. As soon as you start to lean that $15k machine hard into a curve your in for a real surprise. If you think that rear tire is going to hold you on the road your sadly mistaken. If you don't think those motorcycle tires have much contact patch with the road on a curve just imagine how much less the contact patch is on that sharp corner on the car tire is.
I am surprised you could even get any one to mount it for you. What did you tell them that your putting it on a bike with a side car? If you think I am just voicing my opinion just get in touch with tire manufacture and see how long it will take before he starts to tear your theory apart.
And the only reason why a car get 40k mile on the tires is because there is 4 of them on the road at the same time. And the tire really doesn't lean in a curve like a bike does and the contact patch is huge compare to the contact patch on the bike. If you ever talked to some one from a country like England they would be surprised that you get 40k on your care tires. With all of their round about there lucky to get 15k out of a set of tires. the car tire basically slides around the curve where as the bike tire rotates around the same curve. Why do you think the bike tire is shaped like a "U". So you always have tread touching the road at every lean angle.
Man I could go on and on with this one. I just hope I ma not riding behind you when you have to make the sudden lane change on a curvy road.
adecood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011   #12
Poppi
Donators

Talking Re: New Tire on ST-1300 - Now On Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecood View Post
I am no tire engineer. Me neither. But I understand the basic's physics of a motorcycle (me too) and how it functions in a curve and I think all of you guy's are nuts for putting a car tire on a bike. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. People use to think the world was flat too. Of course if all you ever do is go in a straight line than you'll be kinda OK. I live 40 miniutes from the Dragon (Hwy. 129). 318 curves in 11 miles. But the minute your life depends on you making that quick "S" turn to avoid some maniac in a cage don't count on those care tires ever saving you hide. As soon as you start to lean that $15k machine hard into a curve your in for a real surprise. Really? If you think that rear tire is going to hold you on the road your sadly mistaken. Now that I've had my CT on for awhile, I'm scraping pegs just like I did with the MT. Imagine that! If you don't think those motorcycle tires have much contact patch with the road on a curve just imagine how much less the contact patch is on that sharp corner on the car tire is. My CT grips in the corners much better than my OEM Dunlop, Michelin Pilot, or my most recent Dunlop Roadsmart ever did.
I am surprised you could even get any one to mount it for you. What did you tell them that your putting it on a bike with a side car? A buddy with a tire machine mounted mine. He's been running his for a couple of years now. If you think I am just voicing my opinion just get in touch with tire manufacture and see how long it will take before he starts to tear your theory apart. If I made my living selling MT's, I would tear my own theory apart too. And the only reason why a car get 40k mile on the tires is because there is 4 of them on the road at the same time. And the tire really doesn't lean in a curve like a bike does and the contact patch is huge compare to the contact patch on the bike. If you ever talked to some one from a country like England they would be surprised that you get 40k on your care tires. With all of their round about there lucky to get 15k out of a set of tires. Not buying that one. the car tire basically slides around the curve where as the bike tire rotates around the same curve. Ever heard of a differential? Why do you think the bike tire is shaped like a "U". So you always have tread touching the road at every lean angle. I buy that. If it weren't "U" shaped it would be a CT.
Man I could go on and on with this one. I just hope I ma not riding behind you when you have to make the sudden lane change on a curvy road. No worries, you would quickly lose sight of me!
Yehaaaaaw! Let's ride!
Dale

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Poppi; December 20th, 2011 at 04:36 AM.
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011   #13
ralphn0
Donators

For many centuries everyone belived the Earth was FLAT. It took a little research to discover something else. Thanks to a few brave souls to experiment with car tires regardless what other people say!! Even the so called "experts" have been proven wrong. I leave my opinion open.
Thanks,
ralphn0
ralphn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011   #14
rshimes

If you can't afford the correct tires for your bike you shouldn't be riding. Quit being so cheap!!!!Dumbest thing I have ever heard of!!!!!!
rshimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011   #15
Poppi
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshimes View Post
If you can't afford the correct tires for your bike you shouldn't be riding. Quit being so cheap!!!!Dumbest thing I have ever heard of!!!!!!

I think that you're confusing "cheap" with "smart". Aren't you being judgemental when you imply that Darksiders are "dumb" and "cheap"? Until you can prove to me that paying less for a product that actually performs as well or better (in some instances) is "dumb" and "cheap", I will consider your opinion unfounded. After all, competition with price and performance, different point of views, thinking out of the box, and venturing out is bad ... right? Status quo is good ... right?

Now let's get back to more important things ... like riding!

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011   #16
bignslo

I think it's crazy to save a few bucks and risk your life like that with a car tire...I agree with the fact of contact surface...it's great for burnouts or going stopping straight but I like all around performance and I WANT the bike to perform when it has too...Remember the phrase it applies to the bike as well........"ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME'ride safe you all
05 ST1300A, 03 KLR250,06 Yamaha Stratoliner wrecked good and gone, 70Trail90 long gone, YZ460 that I would like to forget and long gone, & 77 KZ1000 one nice bike for the times gone, 70 Kawi H1 500 triple wheelie bike gone, and 1st bike 72 Yamaha 175 enduro traded away
bignslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011   #17
ralphn0
Donators

Show me evidence that PROVES car tires are unsafe. Are you judging based on other peoples opinions and NOT hard evidence?
ralphn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011   #18
DanK

I'm not for or against car tires on bikes. When I had a cruiser I considered it, but on the ST one of the comparative joys its its nimbleness, and I don't want to sacrifice that with the higher input required to swerve reported by darksiders. Even so, the longer mileage/lower cost is appealing. What concerns me is the differences between car wheel rim beads and those on motorcycles. Obviously it can be made to work, but I also read reports of darksiders saying that they have more slow leaks due to the less exact fit of the rim. That gives me pause in terms of what would happen when the chips are down and I really swerve and brake to avoid an accident. Given the number of darksiders, and that they aren't losing tires left and right in tight corners, probably everything would be fine, but most of them are on cruisers where hard parts are much more limiting of bank angle. Happy to learn from those who darkside with the ST, but still leaves me me thinking I'm better off with a MC tire on mine. Each to his own I guess.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011   #19
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I don't like car tires on bikes not because they don't work but, because I don't like the feel of even my motorcycle tires when they get flattened from wear.

I like a smooth transition when I'm leaning over or coming back up from a lean.

I have lots of Iron Butt Association and Rally friends who use car tires and swear by them and they have put literally millions of miles (collectively) on these tires proving that they are safe just from the shear number of miles.

But, that still doesn't mean I like how they feel in a curve. ;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011   #20
DanK

[quote=zldrider;17140]I don't like car tires on bikes not because they don't work but, because I don't like the feel of even my motorcycle tires when they get flattened from wear.

I like a smooth transition when I'm leaning over or coming back up from a lean.[quote]

I certainly agree with you on that. I love the feel of the bike flowing through corners when it has new tires. Especially when I get new ones front and rear at the same time.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote