ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old September 14th, 2011   #1
Yaesu

Default New Tire on ST-1300 - Now On Darkside

New Tire on ST-1300 - Now On Darkside
I just put on a Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 - 205/50-17 on my ST-1300. I live on a winding road and took the bike out to see how it handles. I'm impressed. I rode a Nomad with a CT and currently ride an 1800 Wing with a CT and the ST with this Hankook tire handles much better than both of the other bikes with CTs. The speedometer is almost exactly the same (according to GPS) as with the OEM tire, so the diameters must be almost identical. The only rubbing is from the nubs on the sides of the tire, but they will wear out soon. $92 delivered plus $32.50 mounting and balancing. I spent $180 including mounting and balancing for the OEM front tire.
Yaesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011   #2
ralphn0
Donators

Default Re: New Tire on ST-1300 - Now On Darkside

Good Luck! I hope it will hold up at high speed and will give you lots of miles . I noticed you have Whalen lights. Your's is the only other ST1300 that has the Whalen mounted like I have on mine. I started out with the TIR-3's in 07' and l changed to the LINZ-6 last year. Boy what a difference. I have received complements from ARK. to CAL. Everyone likes them and wants know where to buy them.
Keep us informed on the tire info.
Thanks,
Ralph
ralphn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011   #3
eSTes1300

What's the objective here? Better life of tire, lower cost, better handling? With an average tire life of ~7-8k, I would like to get ahold of something that would not wear out in the middle of a trip. I've heard about car tires on bikes for years, what's the down side? I would jump on this, doing 15k a year keeps me near a tire shop. Thanks.
eSTes1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011   #4
Poppi
Donators

I've gone to the Darkside. The Hankook is installed on my ST1300. For me, it's about lower cost. I've never gotten more than 9,000 miles from a motorcycle tire (Dunlop or Michelin), on my ST. So if you figure a cost of $140 per tire (including mounting) per tire change - 45,000 miles equals five tire changes or $600. If this tire holds up for 45,000 miles (as it would on a car), then the cost is $115 (tire and mounting). This means a savings of $485 for me, not to mention the repeated dismounting and remounting of the wheel. I always remove the wheel myself and bring it to the tire changer.

I'm still trying to get used to the difference in handling. It seems to have a larger contact patch. It feels different in the corners. Still early, but I think this is going to work for me.

Dale

Last edited by Poppi; September 18th, 2011 at 04:06 AM.
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011   #5
Yaesu

I have been using car tires on the back of my 1800 Gold Wing and also my Nomad, which I sold when I bought the ST-1300. There are several reasons that I use a CT rather than a MT.
*Less cost per mile, since the cost of a car tire is usually less than a motorcycle tire and the CT usually wears much longer.
*Smoother ride. The CT absorbs bumps much better than the stiff MC tires. Many run pressures between 30 and 40 psi.
*Higher load carrying capacity. The rear CT tire on my ST has a weight load carrying capacity of 1,400 pounds. The one on my Gold Wing has a rating of 1,900 pounds.
*Better traction on sand, gravel, grass, mud, and probably snow. Large footprint.
I've been told that they have better traction in the rain, but I've never had a problem with MC tires in the rain.
*Probably safer to plug after picking up a nail or screw than a MC tire.

But a CT does not handle like a MC tire.
*At first you have to make a conscious effort to get the bike to start leaning by pushing or pulling on the grips. But after riding the bike for a while I tend to forget about having to do that and forget that there is a CT on the bike.
*Some roads tend to want to make the bike track on its own. That too takes some getting used to, but it's never caused me a problem.

I have never heard of any on-the-road failures when using a CT on a bike. However, most of us have had MT failures (splits, ruptures, separations, other unexplained problems).

I have heard of two occasions where riders have found their CT flat after parking the bike for a while. The seal between the rim and tire bead leaked. Perhaps it was due to under inflation or improper installation of the tire.
Old September 19th, 2011   #6
Poppi
Donators

Yaesu,

Do you think that the CT is just as sure-footed in the corners? I still haven't taken my CT deep into a corner. I'm wondering if I'll be able to scrape the pegs just like riding with the MT.

Thanks,

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011   #7
Yaesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi View Post
Yaesu,

Do you think that the CT is just as sure-footed in the corners? I still haven't taken my CT deep into a corner. I'm wondering if I'll be able to scrape the pegs just like riding with the MT.

Thanks,

Dale
Based on the way I ride, the CT is just as sure footed as a MT. I don't know how the peg-scrapers would feel about it. I just checked my chicken stripes on the front tire and they are very small...no bigger than with the MT. I find myself taking curves as fast with the CT as I did with the MT. I find it hard to believe that it works so well. But I am not a "go-fast" rider.
Old November 19th, 2011   #8
railroadrider
Donators

Would the 205/50-17 size go for any brand? Or is there just a few brands that will work?
railroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011   #9
Yaesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroadrider View Post
Would the 205/50-17 size go for any brand? Or is there just a few brands that will work?
I have heard that some other brands than the Hankook will rub when put on the ST-1300. Some others will fit, but I don't know which will fit.
Old December 19th, 2011   #10
adecood

I am no tire engineer. But I understand the basic's physics of a motorcycle and how it functions in a curve and I think all of you guy's are nuts for putting a car tire on a bike. Of course if all you ever do is go in a straight line than you'll be kinda OK. But the minute your life depends on you making that quick "S" turn to avoid some maniac in a cage don't count on those care tires ever saving you hide. As soon as you start to lean that $15k machine hard into a curve your in for a real surprise. If you think that rear tire is going to hold you on the road your sadly mistaken. If you don't think those motorcycle tires have much contact patch with the road on a curve just imagine how much less the contact patch is on that sharp corner on the car tire is.
I am surprised you could even get any one to mount it for you. What did you tell them that your putting it on a bike with a side car? If you think I am just voicing my opinion just get in touch with tire manufacture and see how long it will take before he starts to tear your theory apart.
And the only reason why a car get 40k mile on the tires is because there is 4 of them on the road at the same time. And the tire really doesn't lean in a curve like a bike does and the contact patch is huge compare to the contact patch on the bike. If you ever talked to some one from a country like England they would be surprised that you get 40k on your care tires. With all of their round about there lucky to get 15k out of a set of tires. the car tire basically slides around the curve where as the bike tire rotates around the same curve. Why do you think the bike tire is shaped like a "U". So you always have tread touching the road at every lean angle.
Man I could go on and on with this one. I just hope I ma not riding behind you when you have to make the sudden lane change on a curvy road.
adecood is offline   Reply With Quote