ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Tank Bags, Top Cases, Luggage & Racks

Old January 27th, 2011   #1
West

Default Honda Trunk or after-market?

I'm preparing to purchase a new ST1300. I need to decide if I'm going to get the Honda Trunk or something after-market.

I'd be very interested in any comparison/contrasting feedback you folks have for someone getting close to a purchase.

I want one that provides a decide back rest for passengers. Would like it to match the black ST1300 model really nice. Want one that locks.

If there is another thread that I've missed which discusses this in depth, maybe someone can point me there. I may not have search for the best words.

Thanks! West.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011   #2
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Re: Honda Trunk or after-market?

I think it comes down to looks vs. price. The Hondaline box very nicely matches the styling of the ST1300, both in color and design. It isn't officially offered in the US by Honda though. David Silver Spares in the UK, where the Honda top case is available, will ship to the US however.

Going with a GiVi or other aftermarket solution will probably cost about half as much, even after including a color matched lid, than the Hondaline one. In the end it will come down to a personal cost benefit trade off. Functionally the Hondaline and GiVi are equivalent and both can be had with a back rest. Not sure about the others available.

I use an old Givi that I previously had on my ST1100 but I use it only rarely so the styling fit is less important to me. It's plain gray so no color match (or clash).
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011   #3
Blue STreak
Super Moderator

What Jeff said.

Also, the Hondaline trunk can be fitted with a very expensive spoiler / LED light bar. Most Givi's can also be fitted with light kits, for a fair bit less. My ST has the Hondaline unit because it was on the bike when I bought it. Otherwise I would probably have chosen a Givi for cost reasons.
Blue STreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011   #4
ShafT

Take a look at the SHAD topcases. I've decided on the SH-50, which is big, but their silver matches my '07 well. Haven't pulled the trigger yet (waiting on funds). From what I could tell, quality is on par or better than Givi and actually less $$.
ShafT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011   #5
TimM

Go with the Honda - pay the "price" and be happy. Just be sure to follow the install instructions to the letter to allow the trunk the sideways motion it's designed to have.

The Honda fits form and function, and looks stock. The Givi looks, well, after-market.

Or, if you are happy with the after-market look, and think Sta-n-tune pipes look cool, then go Givi.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011   #6
DanK

I have the Givi 46L monokey. I liked that you can put a rack on top. That adds a lot of function. My wife finds it to be an excellent backrest. Only adjustment I had to make was to drill new mounting holes for it about 1.5 inches back from the original ones. This shifted it so that it is properly positioned for her. But I'm sure that is a matter of ergonomics for each rider. She is 5'6". But she really likes it as a backrest, and we have found it to have good capacity for multi-night road trips together. Not implying that it is better or worse than the Honda, having never tried the honda case, just saying that the Givi works well. I'm happy with how it looks, and actually like it better than the Honda in that regard, but that is a matter of individual taste. Pick the one you like.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011   #7
Superdirk
Donators

I love the Hondaline box and spoiler. It's pricey but you just can't beat the looks. Wouldn't have it any other way !
The price for the spoiler is completely ridiculous but I just had to have it.
But hey, the price for the ST itself is extremely low in the US (well, compared to 19,000 in the netherlands anyway ), so don't be cheap, spend a few bucks on looks and go for it ! You will never regret it !

Last edited by Superdirk; January 28th, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Superdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011   #8
joe mashchak

Check out my pics on shad rear trunk thread . Everyone has a personal opinion. I think the honda trunk looks old and the shad fits the styling of the bike better. Just my opinion
joe mashchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011   #9
NM-Harvey

I'm probably one of the few ST1300 riders that installed a Givi E55 MAXIA. I was concerned that it might be too large for the ST but the size has turned out great for me. It also looks fine on the red '08 as well, I have a 46L on my PC800 and it IMO is too small for the ST.

The Honda trunk is very nice and looks great. I wouldn't let price dictate my choice. Get the one that functions the best for you and has the good looks you want.

STOC 8225
AMA Member
2008 ST1300 (Sold)
2013 Suzuki DL650
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
NM-Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011   #10
knelson1969

I just Bought my new Black 2010 ST1300 And I love it.I am going with this unit for now until I can afford to buy the one I want. Which is the Honda Line with the spoiler but on long trips I will use this unit as it will Hold two full face helmets and more importantly the wife will be happy with the wrap around back rest.
http://www.ridebikegear.com/tp-extra...ack-p-196.html

Good luck with your new ride.
knelson1969 is offline   Reply With Quote