ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old October 17th, 2013   #11
burt8810
Donators

Default Re: Recommended Brake Pad Replacements

Joe,

I know this is an old thread but...
How did the EBCs hold up? Did you use them again?

Thanks,
Herb '03
Old November 8th, 2014   #12
ibike2havefun

What's the range of life on ST brake pads? At a projected 3-4K miles a year I expect to get several seasons out of mine; it may be lower than average due to the higher proportion of short-distance commuting relative to longer touring rides I expect to do.

The rest of this post is going to have to be a placeholder for the moment at least... I took my bike (2004 non-ABS) in today for regular service (change all fluids plus spark plugs), as well as to correct a brake fluid leak I induced in a moment of stupidity last weekend.

The inspection the shop performed indicated that the rear brake pads were done, and fronts past the halfway point. The quote provided by the shop specs the EBC HH pads ($45 / set x 3 sets) as the replacement but I will not get appreciable riding time with them before putting the bike away for the winter. If I remember I'll post an update next season. (I will have to remember not only to post the update but also how the old brakes responded.)

Since I've only done about 1,200 miles on this bike, and since this is the first riding experience I've had in 34 years and didn't have all that much way back then, I'm not altogether certain how much difference I'll notice after several months off. (I doubt that I'll retrieve Big Blue until sometime in March at the soonest.)
Now to try to wear it out.

Last edited by ibike2havefun; November 8th, 2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Fixed typos; slight re-wording
ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014   #13
railroadrider
Donators

I sort of feel like this might be a highjack of this thread but there's info here you, Keith, and others might find applicable. And it is, at least, related.

I confess. I just finally did the clutch and brake bleeds and replaced the pads this summer. First time for the bleeds since 2008 when it had approximately 7K miles. It now has 29,500. The pads were worn past the wear marks but nowhere near to metal. Yes, they are/were the originals. My riding has been split with probably 60% slab work due to a 72 mile commute and a few trips to quickly get to where I wanted to start "blue line" riding. After all was said and done, the clutch and brake fluids, while a very light brown in color, had no detectable water in them. I flushed them per the S.M. instructions, into a clear glass container and could not see any sign of H2O contamination. Refilling had a MAJOR learning curve because of the Proportioning Control Valve. After much searching on this site and "the other site," I ended up finally being successful with the PCV by using a combination of the book instructions and pumping the rear brake pedal, pretty much like the old fashion way of bleeding them. Yes, there are now notes in my manual. As I got such good wear out of my originals and totally satisfactory braking action I went with O.E.M. pads.
After this I don't think I'd be hesitant to do my own work again.
railroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014   #14
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 86 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

In my opinion the OEM are the way to go.
I have a lot of experience, fleet service, with the EBC pads and I found them hard of rotors.
The OEM pads have excellent service life and the rotors seem to like them as well.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014   #15
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I would agree with Paul. I went back to the OEM brake pads after trying the EBC's.

However, just this year, I swapped out my OEM brake rotors to PureForge rotors and their kit included a set of EBC pads.

I'm trying this system out and so far, I love it. It has reduced my braking distances by a lot (see other thread here: http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread....ight=Pureforge).

It is quite expensive but, we do have a special group price as seen here: http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread....ight=Pureforge
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014   #16
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
So far, so good. The DO offer more braking power. I noticed that right off.
HH or sintered pads have more abrasive material in there content, so more grabbing power is available, it is at the cost of more wear and tear on the discs though.
Its a braking vs cost vs wear thing.
Old November 11th, 2014   #17
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 86 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

OEM Honda pads are HH Sintered.
Sintered is the manufacturing process that turns powder into pads in a vacuum environment.
HH is the Friction Coefficient. HH is the highest.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014   #18
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 148 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

http://www.braketech.com/index.php?o...talk&Itemid=69

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014   #19
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

The Pureforge rotors have a special patented coating at the molecular level that greatly increases the Coefficient of Friction which is why I can now stop faster than ANY of youse guys!

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
OEM Honda pads are HH Sintered.
Sintered is the manufacturing process that turns powder into pads in a vacuum environment.
HH is the Friction Coefficient. HH is the highest.

Paul
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014   #20
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 148 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Hot shoe'rs need not apply.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote