ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old October 6th, 2008   #1
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Recommended Brake Pad Replacements

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 6 in Discussion From: Blackjeep (Original Message)Sent: 10/1/2008 3:50 AMMorning folks!

The header says it all. I want to replace my pads all the way around and am looking for the right kind or at least the kind that is found to be most reliable . Im looking for name brands , part no. and any other specific info you may find useful.

I think I should point out that I am a tall guy and weigh 290 lbs AND I ride aggressively AND brake accordingly. Im quite sure that factors into my pad wear.

Good day to ya folks.

First Previous 2-6 of 6 Next Last Delete Replies Reply
Recommend Delete Message 2 of 6 in Discussion From: nm6rSent: 10/1/2008 5:57 AMHonda oem brake pads work well, are quiet and won't harm the rotors.

Front brake pads 06455-MCS-G01, two sets required.

Rear brake pads 06435-MCS-G02, one set required.

Ray

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 6 in Discussion From: Freelancer54Sent: 10/1/2008 6:13 AMIs there something special about the Honda pads? EBC and others seem to be about half the price.

STephen

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 6 in Discussion From: PeteSent: 10/1/2008 6:42 AMSpecial? Well, no, but they are engineered for the ST. The Honda rear pads are a little thicker and have
a slightly different backing plate design from the fronts. EBC specs the same pads at both ends. I've replaced
my ST's pads twice at 18K miles and they still had plenty of thickness left. The feel, wet and dry performance,
kindness to the disks, and wear all work for me. Check around for the best price if you go
for the Honda parts. honda directline.com is pretty competitive on ST parts.

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 6 in Discussion From: yellow_line_feverSent: 10/1/2008 12:04 PMGo with the Honda Pads as they do give good life and were tested to work with the linked braking system and ABS; also easy on the rotors.
I have used other brands on other bikes with findings of aggressive or spongy on initial application.

You are not racing looking for every last tenth; Honda has not recalled brake pads and you surely do not want problems in the rain or dry. This is one item that works well so I stick with them.

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 6 in Discussion From: BlackjeepSent: 10/2/2008 5:30 AMOK, thanks for the input folks, I appreciate it.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008   #2
maura
Super Moderator

Default Re: Recommended Brake Pad Replacements

I had the EBC pads and it was a disaster. I was so unhappy with their performance , I replaced them with OEM as soon as I could. Threw the still 'good' EBC pads away. YMMV
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008   #3
uptoblackwood

I've used and like the OEM pads a lot. I don't have experience with other manufacturers pad with the ST. I have noted many riders that change to aftermarket pads....seem to very often go back to the OEM.

Forest
uptoblackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008   #4
Turner

Unhappy Re: Recommended Brake Pad Replacements

OEM pad are fine, but had to pay 145.00 at carmichel honda. I thought it was a little pricey.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008   #5
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I've tried a couple aftermarket brake pads including EBC but, as others have said here, I didn't like them.

I went back to the OEM's.

As for price, I am going to have to get some soon and plan on using the Hondaline ONLINE resourse in our Links section (see link below) to order them from the internet. I save on all the other Hondaline parts that way and expect the brake pads will be cheaper too.

http://www.directlineparts.com/store.asp?str=10

I was right. It was only $116 for the 2 sets of fronts and the 1 rear set plus, shipping was free.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; October 25th, 2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old October 28th, 2008   #6
rodm850g

Guys,
I have an 04 A model...i really like the ABS option....any way my rears were gone at about 15k...playing with the linked brakes was cool to me....jab the rear and the front foes down...way cool.....the fronts didn't last much better, but their wear is related to my riding style for sure...I gotta slow down one day. I used the EBC HH pads and have had no real problems or complaints with how they work, I had none withh the Nissin{OEM} pads either.....yeah Nissin made the original pads for the ST and are high quality products....I got mine from fleabay and even with freight saved some money...best as an old guys memory goes it was about $100.... for frt& rear put em in myself....I had priced all of them retail and among the ones I had looked at they were all about the same as honda...the link Joe directed everyone to is about as good as it will get.....
Rod
Old December 19th, 2008   #7
jh2rc97

I went with the EBC HH pads about a year ago since it was mentioned that they offer alittle more grab than the OEM ones. They do seem alittle more grabby which is what I was looking for. The EBCs work fine for me. I was wishing for alot more braking power but the ST is a heavy one. My last bike was a 2001 Ducati 996 I was use to the amount of braking power it had. And before that a 1997 CBR900, 1994 CBR600, and a 1990 VFR. If anyone comes out with stainless-steel brake lines for the ST I would be interested.
jh2rc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010   #8
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I'm trying the EBC HH pads this time. I'll let you know what I think. As JH said, they advertize that they grab more and to be careful till you're used to them.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old July 18th, 2010   #9
GRN

Here's a good source for the EBC HH pads... part #s are the same front/back up to '07: http://www.discount-motorcycletires.com/inc/sdetail/222
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010   #10
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

So far, so good. The DO offer more braking power. I noticed that right off.

We'll see how long they last and how they feel over the duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
I'm trying the EBC HH pads this time. I'll let you know what I think. As JH said, they advertize that they grab more and to be careful till you're used to them.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218