ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old July 31st, 2015   #11
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 90 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Warning..Serious tire failure using Tire Guard pressure monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Ah another example of "safety" technology almost killing somebody!

Yes sometimes people have to (almost) die so the rest of us can live.

Unless its you that almost dies....then you begin to wonder.
"Safety" technology is a apt term but it is not simply for those that use the system it applies directly to those that share the road, your tire issue can directly affect me if you hit the street and I hit you.

Pertaining mostly to autos, but we are starting to see some trickle down to motorcycles from some manufactures on some models.
Autos are still one of our biggest threats on the road. TPMS were mandated to be installed in autos, U.S. 2007 - UC 2012 I believe.
This is every bit about our safety as it is theirs. The Ford/Firestone disaster became the perfect storm for the need to warn about possibility of impending doom not just to the SUV about to flip over but to the collator damage to others when it did, as many innocent drivers were killed when it did as those in the SUV. Bad design of the SUV certainly but the leading cause of the flip was low tire pressure.
Like seat belts the time had come for a warning device for the tire pressure.

As far as motorcycle use.
Having one on the ST I have no doubt would have saved me a 020 with under a thousand miles on it. Road construction, where they grove the the surface first, brought on a slight wiggle on both ends. Knowing I'm on a garbage surface I pressed on. Coming into town after 20 plus miles of bad road I discover the wiggle has remained and in fact has increased. A small piece of glass was in the tire and not only now do I have a flat I have a damaged tire from 20 miles of it slowly loosing air. I'm convinced a TPMS would have saved a "new" tire.

So the next time you go to pass a car/truck/motorcycle look over.
The life you save might not just be your own it could very well be in/on the vehicle next to you.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015   #12
echo
The sky is falling...

My tire pressures get checked on all my vehicles once a week. When the kids stop over I check theirs too (and the oil!)

Theres no doubt the public at large is hugely negligent checking their tire pressures....

Now...having a light to tell you the pressure is low is great but that doesn't prevent people from driving with it on and not filling the tires!

My oil pressure light came on on my five year old Yaris and I stopped and found a sheen of oil all over the wet road behind me and no oil on the stick. The car got flatbedded to Toyota where they found a cracked oil pressure sensor. The manager explained all was well now but the engine was probably damaged. I told himthe light was on for all of two seconds and gave him the whole story. He said

"Really? I never heard of anybody stopping because the oil light went on."

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!

Last edited by echo; July 31st, 2015 at 10:53 AM.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015   #13
chaissos
Donators

While the safety aspect of TPMS in auto's in undeniable, and safety IS referenced in the documents, according to the Obama administration (back when he was a senator, and he used it as a point on his platform for prez), it was "sold" to the American people as a fuel savings device, and directed to be an actual sensor in each wheel when the laws finally passed, rather than a software solution (which was far cheaper, but also far less reliable).

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...12139/4276844/

MCs are such a small use market in comparison, and usually get much better mileage than cars, so they weren't even considered in the law. They screwed us, yet again. Had it been mandated for all vehicles (not just light duty with 4 or more wheels), we'd have them already, and this whole discussion would be moot.

Oh, well.
Old July 31st, 2015   #14
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Well, you can't fix stupid, can you? If you ignore what your instruments are telling you, you get what you deserve. I call that Darwin at work. ;-)

As far as checking your tire pressure once a week versus what Garry and I were using the TPMS for, there's a world of difference. We're not stopping hardly ever. So, we needed to monitor things on-the-fly. That actually saved me from being stranded out in the middle of nowhere on the Haul road on the way to Prudhoe Bay.

Normal riders really don't need a TPMS IF they're diligent (like you) about checking their tire pressure before riding. Unfortunately, most riders are not diligent about it.

[quote=echo;45915]

<snip>

Now...having a light to tell you the pressure is low is great but that doesn't prevent people from driving with it on and not filling the tires!

<snip>
QUOTE]
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015   #15
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry in AZ View Post
"Are they necessary?" I think that depends on the type of riding you do. For most people who generally make short trips and check tire pressures regularly, maybe not. I use a TPMS system because my ST is exclusively used for long distance riding and rallying. It is not uncommon for me to ride 1000 miles a day for several days in a row, and typically at least 350 miles without a stop. I want to make sure that my tires are properly inflated at all times. A TPMS system allows me to monitor the pressures and temperatures while underway, and should I experience a slow leak, I won't be riding for potentially hundreds of miles on an underinflated tire, causing premature wear and potentially ending my rally or certificate ride. Another advantage for my purposes, is that I don't have to take the time to manually check my pressures each day.
I agree that TPMS is basically useless for situations like a sudden blowout or valve stem failure, because the rider will be well aware of the problem at the same instant the TPMS is! :-)

Garry

Most sudden blow outs are due to under inflation, probably from a puncture, leading to overheating and failure of the tire. I would argue that a TPMS system is invaluable in avoiding sudden blowouts.

-Jeff
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015   #16
chaissos
Donators

I usually check the tires on both cars and the bike at least once a week. If I ride the bike more than as commuter, than I also check it more. Still, having the TPMS systems in both cages helps me keep them both in check.

I do like the aftermarket addons for the bikes, but I wish there was a permanent install, just like in every car out there. The TPMS adds disengage the shrader and use the actual tire pressure to let you know what it is. It's an acceptable solution, but at the same time you're introducing another item that can fail.

To top that off, how many people know what a 42PSI cold tire should read when you've been traveling and the tire's heated up? I would guess 47-49, but that's just a guess. It will also depend on tire size, as the volume of air has changed. I've seen people (OK, stupid people, in cars) hop off the highway for gas, and randomly decide to check the tires....and then drop the pressure to the listed 32, or whatever. So there's that. :shrug:
Old August 1st, 2015   #17
jjoyce2

I agree with Wjbertrand about the most valuable aspect of TPMS is avoiding sudden blowouts.

I picked up a small nail several years back and was probably losing pressure for hours before all of a sudden my tire was getting flat very fast. I was riding downhill on an interstate between two tractor trailers. It was the scariest minute of my life.

I had checked my tire pressure that morning before riding as I do every day I ride. I think a decent TPMS would have shown me the pressure drop over time before it went critical on me.
jjoyce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015   #18
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Maybe set your cold tire pressure to 42 and re-check when it gets hot, to give a baseline for hot tire pressures.

Or, is that going to produce too many variables?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015   #19
chaissos
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Maybe set your cold tire pressure to 42 and re-check when it gets hot, to give a baseline for hot tire pressures.

It shouldn't, no. But, not all riders (nor drivers) are created equal...YMMV
Old August 3rd, 2015   #20
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

That's the nice thing about the Kisan TireAlert, it compensates for rising temps.

You initialize it when the tires are cold and then it adjusts the readings.

However, I do not believe that Kisan is selling the same model for the ST1300 anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post

STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote