ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old April 24th, 2010   #1
JJK

Default Bridgestone BT 023

Anyone try the new Battalax 023? The front 021 I had wore poorly. Is this 023 any better??
JJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010   #2
Paul

Default Re: Bridgestone BT 023

Some of the online dealers are not even carrying them as of yet.
Prices seem to vary widely with those that do so shopping around can save big bucks, I've seen a $50 difference in a set.

Surprisingly it does not look like the GT are going to be in ST sizes.
Has anyone seen the GT spec tires in ST size?

Paul
Old April 24th, 2010   #3
TimM

I wanted to try them but they weren't available anywhere I could find. Considering my front BT021 lasted only 5600 miles, not sure 30% better is an appreciable difference. I was happy - in general - with the 021's handling (except in very wet the rear seemed a bit slick).

This time around I opted for Avon Storm Ultra 2's ... after a couple hundred miles they seem to be doing okay. In some reasonable corners yesterday the tires felt secure and responsive.

Front radius is a bit fast for the bike, rear is normal or even a bit slow -- so front will only use 80% of the tread and I expect lower life as a result. Seems like the front tire wants a wider rim. The BT021's 'fit' much better.

Last edited by TimM; April 24th, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010   #4
dduelin
Loquacious Member

I have about 2500 miles on a set of BT023Rs now. They are a good ST1300 choice - very similar to Avon Storms in feel and grip. They are wearing well to this point and look very good - no appreciable cupping or asymmetric wear. I just got back from a short trip to the Smoky Mountains and rode one 50 mile stretch on Hwy 28 on wet pavement with them and was very comfortable with the pace I was carrying. I also couldn't resist a test ride across Deals Gap and back but the pavement was dry up there. If dealers price them right I would replace them with another set. I don't know if high-milers would like them as I think they are going to be another 7000 mile tire for me like Avon Storms and Metzeler Z6s are.
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010   #5
TimM

Duelin - where did you buy your 023's? Many people are asking. And if you didn't buy them please explain how you obtained them.
Old April 26th, 2010   #6
dduelin
Loquacious Member

I did not buy the set I am on. I got a call from a large MC tire distributor that knew I rode a ST1300. He asked if it was OK to forward my name to a Bridgestone rep that was looking for a ST1300 rider to test some new tires. I replied in the affirmative. About a month later a Honda dealer in the area called me and said there was a set of 023s with my name and phone number on them and he was calling to set up an appointment to mount them. The tires came with a form to contrast and compare the tires with other tires I was familar with on this bike. When the tires are done the worn tires and the completed forms go back to Bridgestone.

Two Brothers Tire was advertising they had 023s in stock and as of last week customers were receiving shipped tires.

http://www.twobrotherstires.com/
Old April 26th, 2010   #7
Paul

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php
In stock four days ago.

Higher priced.
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20...tlax_bt023.htm

Not everyone is showing them yet but there out there you just need to look. A lot of the sites 023 look-up is in a different location or highlighted on top and is fairly easy to overlook.

Paul
Old April 26th, 2010   #8
TimM

A few weeks ago I had called all the majors - nada - one even called Bridgestone for me and he claimed "soon" but was given no dates. So I went with the Avon's (which I am beginning to like).
Old April 27th, 2010   #9
dduelin
Loquacious Member

I ran Avon AV55 and AV56 tires for about 40,000 miles. It is my favorite tire on the ST1300. I haven't tried the new Ultra 2s yet.

I don't think the 023 was released to dealers until the week of 4/5/10.

Last edited by dduelin; April 27th, 2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old April 28th, 2010   #10
rodm850g

Funny thing they don't list an appropriate front tire for the ST....they do for my VFR but that is not why I would buy them.....OH well
Rod