ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2015   #1
Jerrysc1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Topeka, Ks
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0 Jerrysc1 is on a distinguished road
Default Brake problem after changing pads

My front tire was done so I pulled the wheel and replaced the tire - the pads have 58000 miles on them and they were in need of replacement also so I changed those.
I took some fluid out of the reservoir and then slowly push each of the pistons in so that the new pads would fit. Buttoned everything up and it is like I can't pump up any pressure now - even tried opening the bleeders and nothing comes out. There is still something happening because the brakes work but just not very good and they seem to be dragging more than they should. I have changed pads on several other Hondas and never had a problem like this before.
Loosened the bolt on the master cylinder and there was some obvious fluid that comes out when the handle is pulled.
Any ideas???
Jerrysc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #2
Rob2m
Loquacious Member
 
Rob2m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hull UK
Posts: 762
Rep Power: 60 Rob2m will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

Sounds like you have air in the system. There's huge amounts of technical info about bleeding brakes here, and it's pretty complicated to follow too, If its just the front that is soft you only need to bleed the two front calipers, you need to understand how to pump fluid through the system without letting air back into the bleed valves though.
__________________
"Today’s ride will remind me forever how good it is to be a motorcyclist, how good it is to be alive and how much we need to live life, rather than watch it pass us by." Green VFR. 1970-2012
Rob2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #3
PaulRB
The Grouch
 
PaulRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 2,859
Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

I agree, air in the system.

It is a very specific sequence to bleed the brakes.
Follow it to the letter.
With the CBS/Linked System on the ST you will be bleeding both front and rear systems.

Unless your fluid is fairly fresh now would be the time to flush the system with new.


Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #4
Rob2m
Loquacious Member
 
Rob2m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hull UK
Posts: 762
Rep Power: 60 Rob2m will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post

It is a very specific sequence to bleed the brakes.
Follow it to the letter.
I agree Paul but there is a difference here for someone new to it, The SMC and PCV add to the intrigue. If it's just the front brake the issue lies with I'd only bleed the two front upper bleed valves from the front master cylinder, They are independent to the rest of the more complicated brake system and an easier issue to remedy than tackling the whole brake system.
__________________
"Today’s ride will remind me forever how good it is to be a motorcyclist, how good it is to be alive and how much we need to live life, rather than watch it pass us by." Green VFR. 1970-2012
Rob2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #5
chaissos
Donators
 
chaissos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rouand'a'bout San Antonio
Posts: 2,083
Rep Power: 86 chaissos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

At 58000, it's probably time to just flush and replace all the fluid, anyway. It's curious, though, as to why they seem to be working a bit, but not well (e.g. air in the system), and THEN dragging.

Dragging could mean the lower hoses have started to collapse inside. When you release the brakes, the little rubber seal between the piston and case is the only return pressure you have. Hydraulic pressure from the master is easily enough to overcome lines coming apart, but the return pressure can't. It's just one of those things to be aware of.

It might also be time to inspect the boots and make sure there's no seepage or water intrusion. If the pistons aren't nice and clean, they'll stick, leading to your dragging.

Did you bleed them at all? And what color was (is) the fluid in your system?

Best bet: Follow Paul's advice, and refresh the fluid. Go from there. It's a cheap, easy way to make sure you're dealing with a clean system.

Looks like the pictures have been lost, but here's the procedure: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7667.0

There may be one here, but I couldn't find it.
__________________
Scott, 2012 "STutter", STOC# 8642
Go forth and be a force of awesome - do epic shit.

Last edited by chaissos; September 27th, 2015 at 08:52 AM.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #6
Jerrysc1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Topeka, Ks
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0 Jerrysc1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Sounds like you have air in the system. There's huge amounts of technical info about bleeding brakes here, and it's pretty complicated to follow too, If its just the front that is soft you only need to bleed the two front calipers, you need to understand how to pump fluid through the system without letting air back into the bleed valves though.
The odd thing is the system wasn't opened other than to remove a little fluid from the reservoir so they would not overflow when the pistons were pushed in - I agree it has those symptoms - I have a vacuum bleeder so I guess I will try and see if I can get some air out of it.
Jerrysc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #7
Jerrysc1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Topeka, Ks
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0 Jerrysc1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
At 58000, it's probably time to just flush and replace all the fluid, anyway. It's curious, though, as to why they seem to be working a bit, but not well (e.g. air in the system), and THEN dragging.

Dragging could mean the lower hoses have started to collapse inside. When you release the brakes, the little rubber seal between the piston and case is the only return pressure you have. Hydraulic pressure from the master is easily enough to overcome lines coming apart, but the return pressure can't. It's just one of those things to be aware of.

It might also be time to inspect the boots and make sure there's no seepage or water intrusion. If the pistons aren't nice and clean, they'll stick, leading to your dragging.

Did you bleed them at all? And what color was (is) the fluid in your system?

Best bet: Follow Paul's advice, and refresh the fluid. Go from there. It's a cheap, easy way to make sure you're dealing with a clean system.

Looks like the pictures have been lost, but here's the procedure: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7667.0

There may be one here, but I couldn't find it.
thanks for the link - the fluid was only slightly discolored I change it every year or 2 and generally bleed the lines until clear fluid appears.
Jerrysc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #8
Jerrysc1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Topeka, Ks
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0 Jerrysc1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
At 58000, it's probably time to just flush and replace all the fluid, anyway. It's curious, though, as to why they seem to be working a bit, but not well (e.g. air in the system), and THEN dragging.

Dragging could mean the lower hoses have started to collapse inside. When you release the brakes, the little rubber seal between the piston and case is the only return pressure you have. Hydraulic pressure from the master is easily enough to overcome lines coming apart, but the return pressure can't. It's just one of those things to be aware of.

It might also be time to inspect the boots and make sure there's no seepage or water intrusion. If the pistons aren't nice and clean, they'll stick, leading to your dragging.

Did you bleed them at all? And what color was (is) the fluid in your system?

Best bet: Follow Paul's advice, and refresh the fluid. Go from there. It's a cheap, easy way to make sure you're dealing with a clean system.

Looks like the pictures have been lost, but here's the procedure: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7667.0

There may be one here, but I couldn't find it.
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...-Replacementet
I found the pictures - thanks a lot.
Jerrysc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #9
v4forever
Senior Member
 
v4forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 205
Rep Power: 112 v4forever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

Here is a video also.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...rocedure-VIDEO
v4forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #10
chaissos
Donators
 
chaissos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rouand'a'bout San Antonio
Posts: 2,083
Rep Power: 86 chaissos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

I'm blocked from that site, so....
__________________
Scott, 2012 "STutter", STOC# 8642
Go forth and be a force of awesome - do epic shit.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2011 ST1300.US.COM