ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old September 26th, 2015   #1
Jerrysc1

Default Brake problem after changing pads

My front tire was done so I pulled the wheel and replaced the tire - the pads have 58000 miles on them and they were in need of replacement also so I changed those.
I took some fluid out of the reservoir and then slowly push each of the pistons in so that the new pads would fit. Buttoned everything up and it is like I can't pump up any pressure now - even tried opening the bleeders and nothing comes out. There is still something happening because the brakes work but just not very good and they seem to be dragging more than they should. I have changed pads on several other Hondas and never had a problem like this before.
Loosened the bolt on the master cylinder and there was some obvious fluid that comes out when the handle is pulled.
Any ideas???
Jerrysc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #2
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Brake problem after changing pads

Sounds like you have air in the system. There's huge amounts of technical info about bleeding brakes here, and it's pretty complicated to follow too, If its just the front that is soft you only need to bleed the two front calipers, you need to understand how to pump fluid through the system without letting air back into the bleed valves though.
Old September 27th, 2015   #3
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

I agree, air in the system.

It is a very specific sequence to bleed the brakes.
Follow it to the letter.
With the CBS/Linked System on the ST you will be bleeding both front and rear systems.

Unless your fluid is fairly fresh now would be the time to flush the system with new.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #4
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post

It is a very specific sequence to bleed the brakes.
Follow it to the letter.
I agree Paul but there is a difference here for someone new to it, The SMC and PCV add to the intrigue. If it's just the front brake the issue lies with I'd only bleed the two front upper bleed valves from the front master cylinder, They are independent to the rest of the more complicated brake system and an easier issue to remedy than tackling the whole brake system.
Old September 27th, 2015   #5
chaissos
Donators

At 58000, it's probably time to just flush and replace all the fluid, anyway. It's curious, though, as to why they seem to be working a bit, but not well (e.g. air in the system), and THEN dragging.

Dragging could mean the lower hoses have started to collapse inside. When you release the brakes, the little rubber seal between the piston and case is the only return pressure you have. Hydraulic pressure from the master is easily enough to overcome lines coming apart, but the return pressure can't. It's just one of those things to be aware of.

It might also be time to inspect the boots and make sure there's no seepage or water intrusion. If the pistons aren't nice and clean, they'll stick, leading to your dragging.

Did you bleed them at all? And what color was (is) the fluid in your system?

Best bet: Follow Paul's advice, and refresh the fluid. Go from there. It's a cheap, easy way to make sure you're dealing with a clean system.

Looks like the pictures have been lost, but here's the procedure: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7667.0

There may be one here, but I couldn't find it.

Last edited by chaissos; September 27th, 2015 at 08:52 AM.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #6
Jerrysc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Sounds like you have air in the system. There's huge amounts of technical info about bleeding brakes here, and it's pretty complicated to follow too, If its just the front that is soft you only need to bleed the two front calipers, you need to understand how to pump fluid through the system without letting air back into the bleed valves though.
The odd thing is the system wasn't opened other than to remove a little fluid from the reservoir so they would not overflow when the pistons were pushed in - I agree it has those symptoms - I have a vacuum bleeder so I guess I will try and see if I can get some air out of it.
Old September 27th, 2015   #7
Jerrysc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
At 58000, it's probably time to just flush and replace all the fluid, anyway. It's curious, though, as to why they seem to be working a bit, but not well (e.g. air in the system), and THEN dragging.

Dragging could mean the lower hoses have started to collapse inside. When you release the brakes, the little rubber seal between the piston and case is the only return pressure you have. Hydraulic pressure from the master is easily enough to overcome lines coming apart, but the return pressure can't. It's just one of those things to be aware of.

It might also be time to inspect the boots and make sure there's no seepage or water intrusion. If the pistons aren't nice and clean, they'll stick, leading to your dragging.

Best bet: Follow Paul's advice, and refresh the fluid. Go from there. It's a cheap, easy way to make sure you're dealing with a clean system.

Looks like the pictures have been lost, but here's the procedure: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7667.0

thanks for the link - the fluid was only slightly discolored I change it every year or 2 and generally bleed the lines until clear fluid appears.
Old September 27th, 2015   #8
Jerrysc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...-Replacementet
I found the pictures - thanks a lot.
Old September 27th, 2015   #9
v4forever

Here is a video also.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...rocedure-VIDEO
v4forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015   #10
chaissos
Donators