ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 24th, 2014   #1
Dan55

Default Brakes dragging - Possibles causes?

The question:
What is the cause of brakes that are dragging on a ST?

The story:
Went to the Honda dealer to change tires very late in the season, they had a good deal. I asked them also to change brake pads while they were working on the bike. They were close to the safe limits so that was done and I was confident it was made by experts. Asked them if they knew about the specific procedure/sequence to re-install the front wheel; the guy told me not to be worry, almost all Hondas have that characteristic and they are aware…

Out of the dealer I noticed on my way back home some brake dragging (I could feel and hear some whine when close to a stop) and the disks were somewhat hot when I got home. Called the dealer and he said this could happen with newly installed brake pads. I understood it is possible that some setting occurs in this case.

OK but I thought maybe they left the extra brake fluid as the pads are worn out and it can cause the problem. So I checked it and in fact, there was some extra fluid in the master cylinder. I used a syringe to remove it and while doing this, I had a feeling that this was not the source of the problem.

Went for a short ride and noticed a slight improvement but not a solved problem. This happened on a Sunday (dealer closed) and it turned out that it was the last day I could ride a motorcycle; winter had just arrived.

So I know I will be stuck with this problem as soon as I can ride again. I’m not sure I want to go to the dealer (15 km ride) and if I go I don’t want to be treated like an ignorant. So, back to the question…
Dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote