ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #31
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: 2009 st1300 not charging

I haven't gone that far in, but here's an article that should take you most of the way...

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7658.0

If you're up to it, make a tech article with lots o' pix, and lots of detail. Things to watch for, etc.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #32
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
Ok, got all the plastic and the tank off. Took more time than effort but it was only around 1 1/2 hours at a leisurely pace, and fortunately the top tank was dry. Removing the tank only took a few minutes so it just seemed safer and easier to work on with it completely out of the way.

Noooow....I am staring at the air box (I guess) under the tank and see a bunch of wires and plugs and something that looks like a valve etc.

Any suggestions as to what all has to come out of that area besides the fuel injectors if I ever find them, and what part is what etc?

Thanks again for all the help. Gone too far to turn back now, lol.
Unplug the sensors, the air box is just big lumps of plastic and when they are off there's a lot more room to move. Keep a note of the electrical connectors although when I did mine I took all the water parts off, the thermostat etc, disconnected all the electrical connectors, but kept all the fuel lines on. Like I said in an earlier post removing the throttle cables an electrics allowed the injector rail to be tipped up like the tank to allow access to the alternator.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #33
barnett468

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
I haven't gone that far in, but here's an article that should take you most of the way...

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7658.0

If you're up to it, make a tech article with lots o' pix, and lots of detail. Things to watch for, etc.

xlnt, those photos are great for my simple mind, lol.
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #34
barnett468

Does the valve in the right side of the photo with the 2 hoses attached need to be removed?

What is it for?

Do the injectors need to be completely removed or can they be tilted forward or rearward?

Thanks

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #35
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

I cant remember if I removed the valve or not, probably did if the pipes come off it easily. The injectors tip up from the rear in the same way as the tank did when you disconnect the throttle cables. I found the best way to get the injectors off was a crowbar in under the the side trusses and lever against the engine block after loosening the boot straps. This is the part to exercise caution, make sure you are prying against parts that can take it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #36
barnett468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
I cant remember if I removed the valve or not, probably did if the pipes come off it easily. The injectors tip up from the rear in the same way as the tank did when you disconnect the throttle cables. I found the best way to get the injectors off was a crowbar in under the the side trusses and lever against the engine block after loosening the boot straps. This is the part to exercise caution, make sure you are prying against parts that can take it.

ok thanks, crowbar it is. i will likely do this later today.

so the injectors do not need to be removed from the bike completely, just remove them from the boots then tip the rear up to get access to the alternator?

will i be able to see and access the alternator after the injectors and the radiator are off?

will the alternator come off thru the top and clear the injectors if they are tipped upward?

thanks again.

Last edited by barnett468; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:05 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #37
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

yes to them all I think.
I didn't disconnect any part of the fuel lines, I disconnected all the electrics and the water pipes.

The injectors tip up at the front, the rear stays down , exactly the same as the tank tips up.

You will find the alternator very soon!
With the injectors up there is plenty of room to get the alternator out.

Last edited by Rob2m; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:00 AM.
Rob2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #38
barnett468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
yes to them all I think.
I didn't disconnect any part of the fuel lines, I disconnected all the electrics and the water pipes.

The injectors tip up at the front, the rear stays down , exactly the same as the tank tips up.

You will find the alternator very soon!
With the injectors up there is plenty of room to get the alternator out.
xlnt, thanks, i was thinking the alt was to the rear of the injectors and the myriad of hoses would have to come off.

i was going to just tip the tank up as you suggested by since it had no fuel and was easy to remove i just took it off to gain more elbow room. one less thing in my way.

haven't gotten back to it yet. it now looks like tomorrow afternoon.

thanks again for checking my progress and the great info.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #39
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
ok thanks, crowbar it is. i will likely do this later today.

so the injectors do not need to be removed from the bike completely, just remove them from the boots then tip the rear up to get access to the alternator?

will i be able to see and access the alternator after the injectors and the radiator are off?

will the alternator come off thru the top and clear the injectors if they are tipped upward?

thanks again.
You can probably work around them but they don't lift very far if the coolant, fuel and vacuum lines are not disconnected. I think it'd be a PITA to work around them. Besides the hoses, there are only a few electrical connectors more that need opening to just lift the throttle body assembly up and safely out of the way. You will also need to unhook and peel back the rubber thermal blanket before you can see the alternator. In addition to the radiator, life is way easier if you also remove the thermostat housing and associated hoses. You need a pretty straight shot from the front to get at the lower alternator bolt.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #40
barnett468

the alt is out.

no need whatsoever to remove the rad to access the lower alt bolt although i did take it off. i removed the thermostat assy and the fittings on the heads then used a 1/4" drive socket and around a 1 1/2" long extension and a 1/4" drive breaker bar with a 12" long pipe over it to break it loose. i then used a 1/4" drive small head micro ratchet to unscrew it. i left it in the alt.

i will use around a 1 1/2" longer alt bolt in the bottom with a 1 1/2" long round spacer/tube over it. this will bring the head of the bolt to where the end of the alt is so it will be easy to remove the NEXT TIME it melts down. i may also try 1/4" shorter alt bolts to ease removal slightly.

i stuck a long thin screw driver between the boot and injector in a couple areas around each injector the tried pulling them out. nope, so i used a flat 3/4" wide nylon sling (rope would also work) between the injector bodies on the right side so it came between the accelerator pump assys then i used a 3' long crowbar and stuck it thru the sling by aound 2" then rested the bar on the right frame rail where the weld is so it would not slip rearward then pushed down on it with maybe 80 lbs of force and it popped right out. i then lifted the right side up around 1" then pulled up on the left side by hand and it easily came out. i will reassemble with grease.

i could not tilt the front of the carns up much at all so i unplugged the injectors and the fuel line and a water hose on the bottom then lifted them up and moved them rearward as far as possible and set them on the frame rail.

i also undid the bolt on the coat hanger looking bracket that holds some valve with 2 hoses behind the air box.

i did see a few leaks on the t stat assy so it needed to be addressed anyway.

i am taking the alt to a local rebuilder tomorrow to see if they can do it. they claim they have before on this model.

Last edited by barnett468; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:58 PM.