View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2016   #6
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Mirror Cover - Attachment Clips

I can tell you all about these. The ST has three 4-prong spring clips on each side. Each clip should have a circlip around it to stop it spreading and loosening. The clips are affixed with a crosspoint screw in their centres to a captive nut on the inside of the plastic. No plastic needs to be removed. I lost the right side mirror cover on my 03 ST1300 (viewed from the riders seat) which came off when I was travelling at speed and hit a bump. When I checked - not one of the clips on that side had the circlip fitted. I checked the left side and only one circlip was fitted. My dealer ordered 5 circlips at a few pennies each. They were delivered the next day and I fitted them all in about 15 minutes flat. When I bought my CTX1300, as soon as I got it home, I checked the circlip situation. Only one circlip on each side, but on different position clips. Again, I ordered 4 more and fitted them easily. My Honda mechanic says the the guys who build the bike up often don't know what the circlips are for and throw them in the bin. It's a really easy fix. I recommend everyone pops both mirror covers off and checks the three clips each side for the presence of the circlip.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS

Last edited by DickPeake; August 21st, 2016 at 02:37 PM.
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote