View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2017   #4
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: Design To Fail Strikes Again!

Sometimes, we just can't get out of our own way, and our demise is our own fault. Sucks, but that's the way it goes.

Having said that - which I firmly believe - some of the planes we used to fly didn't have those safety devices on the engines. In wartime, we'd rather have the engine power through to complete failure than shutdown on its own - all at the discretion of the crew, of course. They were trying to replace them with the new engines (attached to new planes, obviously), which had various engine saving "features" - loss of oil pressure was one. The new planes were refused. The cockpit lit up with warnings if there were problems, but the pilot and co-pilot had the ability to make the decision not to shut them down, or to just throttle back. Some thrust is better than none, and a failing engine will still give you a little bit of go. Getting those few miles may make the difference between life, death and capture.

So, there's something to be said for having the ability to ignore the warnings. For me, I'd rather be on a severely disabled - but floating - ship than a sunken one. BUT...there's no accounting for lack of "getting it done". Before we destroy planes, we make sure we take every action to save it. They failed on the most basic of actions, which is to secure the vessel.

Thought the tidbit might interest a few of you.