ST1300.us.com

ST1300.us.com (http://www.st1300.us.com/forums.php)
-   General (http://www.st1300.us.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trikes (http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=5129)

Georgia dawg April 23rd, 2017 05:41 AM

Trikes

Just curious, what do you guys think of when you see a "trike"? To me, all the macho goes away when a Harley is made into a trike.

PaulRB April 23rd, 2017 06:33 AM

Re: Trikes

Harley actually makes trikes.
The current model the Freewheeler can trace it's roots back to 1932 and the Servi-Car (1932-1973).

It makes sense for Harley to have re-entered this market.
They know they have a aging owner base and three wheels can deliver the motorcycle "experience" to those that tip-over at stop lights.

The Way Back Machine - On.

The first motorcycle I ever "road" was a Harley Servi-Car.
My Grandfather owned a fleet of Taxi's in Baltimore Maryland.
He had several Servi-Cars used to dash out to fix a flat or tow a dead taxi, some model Servi-Cars came with tow bars.

To entertain, what would certainly be called a gang today, of five or six 6 year old boys he gave us a Servi-Car with no engine.
We would push/pull all morning long the Servi-Car up the hill behind his place for the ten second "ride" to the bottom.
Engine noise supplied by the two guys that rode where the engine would have been.
Big fun until we dropped the front wheel into the Trollycar tracks one day and spit one cylinder of the engine noise makers out introducing Road Rash to the gang. ATGATT was unknown at the time.
By popular demand, The Mommies, our motorcycling days ended.
Or so The Mommies thought.

Found memories.
That is what I think when I see a Trike don't care who makes it.

Paul

LEINADEUGAL April 23rd, 2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRB (Post 51170)
The Way Back Machine - On.

The first motorcycle I ever "road" was a Harley Servi-Car.
My Grandfather owned a fleet of Taxi's in Baltimore Maryland.
He had several Servi-Cars used to dash out to fix a flat or tow a dead taxi, some model Servi-Cars came with tow bars.

To entertain, what would certainly be called a gang today, of five or six 6 year old boys he gave us a Servi-Car with no engine.
We would push/pull all morning long the Servi-Car up the hill behind his place for the ten second "ride" to the bottom.
Engine noise supplied by the two guys that rode where the engine would have been.
Big fun until we dropped the front wheel into the Trollycar tracks one day and spit one cylinder of the engine noise makers out introducing Road Rash to the gang. ATGATT was unknown at the time.
By popular demand, The Mommies, our motorcycling days ended.
Or so The Mommies thought.

Found memories.
That is what I think when I see a Trike don't care who makes it.

Paul

I am not a Harley fan and never was , but this story was really fun to read . . . Thanks Paul for this morning smile . . . Clapping1

Daniel

echo April 23rd, 2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia dawg (Post 51169)
Just curious, what do you guys think of when you see a "trike"? To me, all the macho goes away when a Harley is made into a trike.

If they extend older riders careers I'm all for them. beer3

I do wonder how stabil they are. I imagine the two wheels first models do better than the conventional setup.

Redfish April 23rd, 2017 09:35 AM

While I enjoyed Paul's excellent story and I am aware of the honorable history of the Harley Servi-Cars, I am with Georgia Dawg on this one. Well, mostly.

I find it difficult to give my customary "motorcycle" wave to a trike. They are not motorcycles. I never feel that just because they are sitting on a motorcycle seat looking over motorcycle handlebars that they are True Motor Cycle Riders.

The exception to this, and it is fairly common, is when I see a disabled person riding a trike. This is particularly true when I see a disabled service veteran with a prosthetic leg or legs riding a trike. I say more power to those folks.

Pop has always said that when he can no longer ride on two wheels he will just get a convertible sports car. A nice Camaro or Mustang convertible would be nice. He has adamantly refused to consider any form of trike.

PaulRB April 23rd, 2017 11:47 AM

Who has actually ridden one?

I spent a day on one, 400 miles or so.
GoldWing 1800 Lehman Trike I believe it was.
Flat land to 9,500 ft twisty's.

Interesting. You don't see one in my garage though.

Paul

Georgia dawg April 23rd, 2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfish (Post 51174)
While I enjoyed Paul's excellent story and I am aware of the honorable history of the Harley Servi-Cars, I am with Georgia Dawg on this one. Well, mostly.

I find it difficult to give my customary "motorcycle" wave to a trike. They are not motorcycles. I never feel that just because they are sitting on a motorcycle seat looking over motorcycle handlebars that they are True Motor Cycle Riders.

The exception to this, and it is fairly common, is when I see a disabled person riding a trike. This is particularly true when I see a disabled service veteran with a prosthetic leg or legs riding a trike. I say more power to those folks.

Pop has always said that when he can no longer ride on two wheels he will just get a convertible sports car. A nice Camaro or Mustang convertible would be nice. He has adamantly refused to consider any form of trike.

Absolutely agree with this. I am deeply appreciative of the sacrifices our wounded warriors have made. If a trike gives them a way to experience motorcycling, that's fantastic. I met a man last year who was driving a Polaris Slingshot. He was a veteran that had to use a walker for mobility. We talked for a good while. Like Redfish, I don't view a trike as a motorcycle.

ligito April 26th, 2017 05:49 PM

I might consider a Can Am Spyder, though, except for the price.
As long as it has the feet back, not forward, footboards.
I don't do feet forward.

drbuzzard April 27th, 2017 11:17 AM

I thought about getting a goldwing trike about six years ago but there is not enough room for it at the house

suprasabre May 3rd, 2017 10:28 AM

If it ever comes to it, I'll just convert one of my ST1300 to a trike! :D